• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Administrator of aunt's estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

debodun

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

My father's sister passed away last year. Her older sister and younger brother are still living. I am the child of the eldest of the siblings who is deceased. Because my other aunt and uncle are not competent, I have been appointed the estate administrator. My aunt died intestate. The only asset was her modular home which is not in good condition and whatever is in it. I have to sell the house and to do that, have to liquidate or otherwise dispose of the contents. I have asked around to other relatives and friends, but no one seems interested in having anything out of the house. One of my aunt's friends said that as far as she's concerned, the house and contents are my property now. I don't feel that way. I think any tangibles are the property of the estate. My aunt was an accomplished artist and the house contains dozens of her oil paintings that may actually have some value and maybe a few small antiques or collectible knick-knackery that she used in her still life paintings - like Japanese or European porcelain and figurines. Do I have any right to "help myself" to any of the contents? Just asking since I don't want any trouble over this at a later date.

nextwife

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

My father's sister passed away last year. Her older sister and younger brother are still living. I am the child of the eldest of the siblings who is deceased. Because my other aunt and uncle are not competent, I have been appointed the estate administrator. My aunt died intestate. The only asset was her modular home which is not in good condition and whatever is in it. I have to sell the house and to do that, have to liquidate or otherwise dispose of the contents. I have asked around to other relatives and friends, but no one seems interested in having anything out of the house. One of my aunt's friends said that as far as she's concerned, the house and contents are my property now. I don't feel that way. I think any tangibles are the property of the estate. My aunt was an accomplished artist and the house contains dozens of her oil paintings that may actually have some value and maybe a few small antiques or collectible knick-knackery that she used in her still life paintings - like Japanese or European porcelain and figurines. Do I have any right to "help myself" to any of the contents? Just asking since I don't want any trouble over this at a later date.
You follow the rules of intestate succession, pay creditors first (if liquidation assets is necessry to do so, then pay them). Have you reviewed who gets what under NY law?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">