• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Administrators disagree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jay Elle

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

My sister and I are both the administrators of our deceased father's estate. He died in 2003 without a will. The only asset of value he had was his co-op apartment. My sister moved into the co-op after his death and lived there until the co-op was sold in October 2005. She refused to pay the monthly maintenance charge on the coop. As a result, I had to pay the charge until the co-op was sold. In addition, I paid some of the utility bills along with lawyer fees. Now she refuses to settle the estate. The proceeds from the co-op sale are in an escrow account opened by my attorney. My attorney advised me that taking the case to probate court would be costly and lengthy. I have over $19,000.00 of my own money invested in this estate. The proceeds from the co-op sale is less than $100,000.00 What can I do to recover the money I personally invested in the estate?

anteater

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

My sister and I are both the administrators of our deceased father's estate. He died in 2003 without a will.... My attorney advised me that taking the case to probate court would be costly and lengthy...
I am kind of confused. If you two are administrators, then a probate proceeding is already open, right? Getting reimbursed for personal advances to the estate should not be that big a deal. Did your attorney explain why it would be "costly and lengthy?"

If your co-adminstrator is being a PITA, that may be more of a problem, but I can't see it being all that costly to hash it out in court.

Besides, what is the alternative?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">