• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice with Medicaid Estate Recovery Program

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mbrando100

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania Schuylkill County

My grandmother recently passed away. She left to me a house that was valued at $5,000 with contents inside valued at $100. She had I believe $12 in her checking account and no other assets of any kind.

She utilized both Medicare and Medicaid throughout her elder years. She was in a nursing home for rehab but never for more than 180 days. She also received in home care off and on never found the clock. And she also received hospice care for approximately half a month. Nothing ever more than 180 days.

Our lawyer guaranteed us and said not to worry the Medicaid will not take the house. The will is currently in probate. The house was left to me in the will. How is he so sure they won't? I know she probably owes them much more than $5100 but it's still something to them? Am I wrong?

What do you experts feel are the chances of Medicaid taking our house? Once again she never utilized Medicaid for long term nursing home care.

Thanks!

FlyingRon

Medicare is immateria.

Medicaid only gets triggered if she goes into long term care (as the law says "permanently institutionalized").

Your lawyer is in a better situation to advise us than we are. I would suspect he is right. Note that other debts of the estate, such as any medical expenses owed that weren't covered by medicare/medicaid/private insurance, will have to be resolved before any property is transferred to any "heirs."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">