• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

After Probate, then what?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alison in Maine

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Maine

My Dad left a will and named me personal rep. Dad's property consisted of three vehicles which I have sold for a total of $23,800.00. He has outstanding bills (utility, credit cards) of $6,203.66. To date, I have paid out $22,228.20 for funeral expenses, probate costs, (payoffs on two of the vehicles, payback for one pension check directly deposited after his death, and IRS 2004 tax amount due.) The will has been through Probate in Cumberland County, Maine (Filed April 12, 2005 with end of Probate on August 12, 2005.) Not one of the companies have notified the court that Dad owed them money even though the notices were placed in the paper as required.

My question is: Am I responsible for paying any of those bills (I did notify each one that he had died and a few continued to send him bills month after month and one sent his bill to a collection agency.) One creditor sent me a legal form asking me as PR to either accept the claim against the estate, deny the claim, or assume partial payment of the claim. I sent them back a registered letter explaining that it was a very small estate and there was no money therefore I denied the claim. They did not notify the Probate Court asking to have the claim reconsidered and I have not heard a word from them.

I cannot afford an attorney so I'm trying to get an answer through this site.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">