• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I in the will as promised?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jldok

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma
1 year ago my boss of 24 years died of cancer. Before he died he sold the store I work in. He told me not to worry because I was in his will. His widow is the executer of the will. I have not heard one word about anything. Is there a way I can find out if I am or am not in the will. Everything was left in a trust, which to my knowledge, has not been settled yet. I wonder how long she has to settle the estate. She might be spending it all before she has to settle since she is not the most honest person. Any help or information will be much appreciated.

Dandy Don

If you know what city he died in, then check at the county courthouse probate court to see if the will has been filed yet and if so, get a copy of it and the name and address of the executor. Things don't look so good, because if the will had been filed, you should have received notice by mail if the executor knew how to reach you.

The problem is that the wife could be deliberately withholding the will from probate or she could have talked her husband into putting all of the assets into the trust. If you think you may have been named as a beneficiary in the trust, then you or your attorney need to send the executor a certified letter asking who the trustee is and asking for a copy of the trust and an accounting statement if you are named as a beneficiary. If you are not a beneficiary of the trust, then she doesn't have to send you anything.

If the will has not been filed you need to decide whether to hire an attorney to open up probate and ask the judge to ask wifey to produce the will.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">