• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are animals considered part of the Estate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DaveNY

I live in NY and the estate is in NY.

My sister died and left no will. I have been appointed the administrator of the estate. My sister left 2 dogs who my brother willingly took to care for. There was nothing stating that he had to take the dogs. Now that my brother has the dogs it appears he is going to submit claims against the estate for reasons that appear to be frivolous.

My brother is retired and wants to be compensated because he is caring for the dogs and is saying they are the reason he can not return to full time employment.

He is blaming his wife's allergies on the dogs and plans to submit medical expenses even though he had a dog living in the house prior to taking my sisters dogs.

I have no problem with allowing proceeds from the estate to care for the dogs but it appears my brother is using the dogs to demand more money from the estate.

My questions are:

are animals considered part of an estate and can my brother submit these as valid claims against the estate?

What options do I have if I disagree with his claims?

You Are Guilty

Don't pay him a dime and let him sue the estate for his "medical" claims. I'm sure the Surrogates Court needs a good laugh. (He probably would be entitled to reasonable compensation for food/vet bills though, so see if you can separate that amount from the rest of his crap).

PS: That's some family you got there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">