• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Any Legal Rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ibequick

What is the name of your state? MO

My father died in Dec. 2004, he told family members he had a will. My step mother denies him having one. They were married about 3 years. His house was in his name, she cosigned on the mortgage when they needed to borrow against the house. I am his only child. There was never any probate proceeding concerning my fathers death. She held an auction after his death and sold all of his items (I was unable to be there due to a letter received by her attorney). Do I have any legal rights??

BelizeBreeze

What is the name of your state? MO

My father died in Dec. 2004, he told family members he had a will. My step mother denies him having one. They were married about 3 years. His house was in his name, she cosigned on the mortgage when they needed to borrow against the house. I am his only child. There was never any probate proceeding concerning my fathers death. She held an auction after his death and sold all of his items (I was unable to be there due to a letter received by her attorney). Do I have any legal rights??
You need to file probate INTESTATE immediately and ask the court to appoint YOU as the executor. You, as executor can then order the stepmother to either return all items sold at the auction or the proceeds received from the sale.

seniorjudge

You need to file probate INTESTATE immediately and ask the court to appoint YOU as the executor. You, as executor can then order the stepmother to either return all items sold at the auction or the proceeds received from the sale.
Correct. You also need to be ready to explain to a judge why it took you so long to do anything.

http://www.finance.cch.com/pops/c50s10d190_MO.asp

Missouri Intestate Succession Laws

If any part of a Missouri decedent's estate is not effectively disposed of by will, the intestate share will be distributed in the following order and manner:

1. Surviving spouse. A surviving spouse is generally first in line to get any assets from the intestate estate. However, the amount a surviving spouse is entitled to varies as follows:

* If there is no surviving issue of the decedent, a surviving spouse is entitled to the entire intestate estate.
* If the decedent is survived by issue, all of whom are also issue of the surviving spouse, the surviving spouse gets the first $20,000, plus one-half of the remaining balance of the intestate estate.
* If the decedent is survived by issue, one or more of whom are not issue of the surviving spouse, the surviving spouse gets one-half of the intestate estate.

2. Heirs other than surviving spouse. Any part of the intestate estate not passing to the surviving spouse as indicated above, or the entire intestate estate if there is no surviving spouse, passes as follows to decedent's:

1. Children, or their descendants, in equal parts.
2. Father, mother, brother or sister, or their descendants in equal parts.
3. Grandparents, and uncles and aunts, or their descendants in equal parts.
4. Great-grandfathers, great-grandmothers, or their descendants in equal parts.
5. Next of kin related to the decedent up to the ninth degree of kinship.
6. Predeceased spouse who, at the time of the spouse's death, was married to the decedent (i.e., left the decedent a widow/widower). The estate is then distributed according to the rules above, as if the predeceased spouse had died intestate.

3. State of Missouri. If there is no taker under any of the above provisions, the intestate estate passes by default ("escheats") to the state of Missouri.

Missouri Intestate Succession Law Fun Facts

* Decedent's children or descendants conceived before his death, but born thereafter, inherit as if they had been born in the lifetime of the decedent. However, this exception doesn't apply to any of decedent's other relatives.
* When dealing with collateral relatives that are of equal degree of kinship, relatives of the half-blood inherit half as much as relatives of the whole-blood.
* Any person who fails to survive the decedent by 120 hours is deemed to have predeceased the decedent for purposes of intestate succession (which means that the person generally doesn't get a share of the decedent's estate). If it cannot be established by clear and convincing evidence that the person who would otherwise be an heir has survived the decedent by 120 hours, it is considered that the person failed to survive for the required period. However, these rules don't apply if the end result is that the state of Missouri gets the intestate estate.
* Missouri's intestate succession laws, as well as laws relating to wills, can be found in Title XXXI, Chapter 474, of the Missouri Revised Statutes.

Copyright 2002 - 2007, CCH Incorporated, a Wolters Kluwer business. All Rights Reserved.

ibequick

Fyi

I was able to get ahold of an attorney today. She checked the deed to the house and the evil step mother is on there. I am entitled to NOTHING!!

justalayman

Well that would depend on how title was held with your dad and step mom. If held jointly with rights of survivorship, you are correct, at least concerning the house.

If they were tenants in common you would be entitled to one half of you fathers half of the house plus one half of the rest of his estate as well. Not knowing how much money or value you are talking about, it may not be worth the trouble.

If the house was held as tenants in common and it was quite valuable and he had considerable savings or possessions, it may be worth the expense of probate.

Dandy Don

If you think your father might have other assets (check with his job to see if there pension benefits, insurance, etc.) besides the home, consider hiring your own probate attorney to get probate opened up so judge can ask wifey to produce the will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">