• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Appointment of Administrator

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mplmusic

What is the name of your state? CA

My dad passed away recently without a will (intestate). My dad's estate is less than $100k (mostly an IRA) and it's being passed on to my mom as both my dad's parents are deceased. We've discovered a small ($5K) life insurance on one of my brothers where my dad is the "owner". I've spoken to the insurance company and they said for them to change the "owner" to my mom, we need to get an affadavit for the "executor" or "appointment of the adminstrator" at the city clerk's office. I haven't been able to find the right person being that it's a big city (Los Angeles). How do I obtain this? While trying to research this, I saw info alluding to going through probate. Is it necessary to go through probate? As my mom had almost all their assets in just her name, only my Dad's IRA and the $5k life insurance policy needed to be addressed.

Dandy Don

What the insurance company is telling you is that someone needs to be designated by the court as official administrator or executor. That can be you or an attorney you hire to open up this estate for probate. Since it is only going to concern the policy, this will be a smaller estate, for which there is probably an easy, simplified procedure.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">