• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this arguable ???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NothingIsSimple

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?California

My aunt volunteered to be executor of my mother's estate as I was devasted and didnt want to deal with anything at that time. This was 2-11-04. In March of 2005 my aunt went in for surgery and did not make it and died 3-16-05. There were two things left to be signed: waiver of fees and 2003 taxes. My aunt had verbally waived the fees and stated this to both the atty handling the probate and myself.

Now with her passing my greedy yet very rich cousins are stating their mother (my aunt) never mentioned anything about waiving the admin fees and won't give an answer. My atty wrote a letter stating their mother verbally waived the fees not only to myself but to her and her paralegal - so in essence my cousin is basically saying we are liars. y been over a year and I can't pay my mom's monthly bills as well as my own and have been juggling her bills and mine as far as who gets a payment each month.
However yesterday, the court appt me as executor so that was a big relief as I can access my mom's checking/svgs to pay bills due on the estate. However after atty fees and exec fees it would not surprise me if I ended up owing. My atty has sent my cousins and their atty two letters re: the waiver and still have rec'd no response from their probate atty or them.

Since my greedy cousins are just (excuse my language) dicking around - could I not argue the point that fees are payable upon the close of probate and since the duties required of the executor were not completed at the time of her death, the fees are not applicable or at the very least, should be prorated. Almost completed is not COMPLETED.executor of the estate were not completed ut almost completed IS NOT completed. Who is to say she would have or not - I dont feel that it should be assumed she would have and I am only thinking along this avenue because my cousins taking my parents svgs for a job their mother volunteered to do for her sister, not only makes me ashamed they are related but also infuriates me as they are both married to millionaires AND my aunt and uncle did not raise them that way.

This garbage is only occurring because another cousin thought my mom would leave her some money and since my mom didn't and since her death, this cousin has been quite ugly towards me and my gut feeling is she has said something to my aunts kids (in their 40s) and just created unfounded and un justified issues out of spite.

Truth be known I'd hand out whatever money my parents had if I could have them back .

Anyway.....

So, is this something I could challenge in the hopes of preventing them getting $10,000 ?

Dandy Don

She is owed something for her executor duties--curiously you have not stated if she actually did anything--so prorate it. Technically she can't get payment since she is deceased--the kids foolishly and incorrectly think she will be sent a check to her estate for them to cash in and use.

So prorate it and make a donation to the kids from your executor fee or be strong enough to tell them that there is not enough money in the estate to pay that obligation.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

NothingIsSimple

HELP - Dan re your answer to my : Is this Arguble

Dan the attorney for my moms estate says that since my aunt did not sign waiver of exec fees before she (my aunt) died that the exec fees go to my aunts estate so you might as well say her kids get it since their are the heirs - I'm getting worried as the paralegal #3 is giving me diff amts due for exec fees and as for paying my moms bills - lol well i got appt executor finally and when I went to bank it seems there is only enough money to pay atty fees and partially pay exec fees. I demanded to get copies of my mothers bank statements and I also stated I wanted copies of everything my aunt submitted as executor of my mothers estate and the paralegal seemed hesitant. The previous paralegal gave me the exact amts in my mothers 4 accts at bank and her figures were in the same ballpark as the estimation I did. Now this 3rd and current paralegal is saying there is only total X amt of dollars between the 4 accts and by my calculations - we are short to the tune of 20,000-$35,000. I told her that was impossible, and what about my parents money still in their state retirement funds and she said well that isnt part of probate. Well then why did I have to send the last couple of check stubs (automatic deposit each month) to my aunt per the attorney? ..... I am getting angrier by the minute and something is definitely wrong here - I don't have the money to get a new probate attorney and am vascillating between anger and worry..........help I don't know how to look into this further than bank statements and alot of documents of my moms are still up in Oregon at my aunts house and I've requested thru the atty to have my cousins send and the attorney keeps telling me she has rec'd no response from the attorney my cousins have handling their moms estate.............

geez I dont know about you but that just gave me a headache not to mention the constant pain in the behind from this mess.

Please helppppppppppppppp I don't know which way to turn at the moment!!!! :confused: :mad: :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">