What is the name of your state? New York
My father died nearly two years ago leaving behind a very small estate. I have three other siblings that admit tingly been a nightmare to deal with (calling attorney frequently).
In a nutshell:
- Attorney sent out all accounting of estate (listing assets vs. liabilities) and all siblings agreed and signed off on (his fee was included & listed as paid)
- Attorney sent a payout of the residual monies to three siblings PRIOR to paying all liabilities
- Third sibling calls to question where payout is & attorney states a portion of life insurance not received & unable to pay all liabilities (sibling kept a portion of funds)
- Questioned Attorney on sloppy bookwork & he becomes angry
- Attorney stops accepting telephone calls
- Three siblings receive notice from a process server that attorney resigned from case
a) Can an attorney quit after taking his fee and without attempting to work out a solution?
b) What rights does the estate have?
c) Is the executor responsible for any of this?
d) Can the executor also quit at this time?
Any assistance will be a HUGE help!!
Thank you in advance!
undefinedATTORNEY QUIT CASE!!