• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank Account with or

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

arleneg

What is the name of your state? SC

My husband passed away Jan 27th. I knew nothing of probate because my husband always had our bank accounts with or and other things POD.

We purchased a piece of land that was in Fred and Arlene. This put me in probate and in SC half goes to the wife and half to the children. My husband had three children from his first marriage and I don't even know them because in 38 years they never had any contact with their father. However, now they own half of his half of the land and half of our cars.

However, my questions is on Schedule E - Probate told me I had to list all bank accounts even if they were Fred OR Arlene. I paid for advice and was told I did not have to list the accounts but checking again wiht Probate they say I have to put the accounts down.
Are they thinking I'm talking about accounts with AND.

And what is the purpose of listing the money. Is there a probate fee on the gross value.
Also, I've been reviewing the form for filing a final income tax return.
Am I going to pay taxes again on the money in the OR account which I have already paid taxes?

Thanks any help would be appreciated. I've gone to an attorney, paid my money, and actually he didn't know. I can't afford jumping from one attorney to another and getting nowhere.

arleneg

Bank Account with OR

It's listed on the Probate Form. Schedule E. Then what got me so concerned is that it is also listed on the IRS Tax Form. So it doesn't make sense to list the OR accounts or I would have to pay tax on something I've already paid tax on.

I called a different county and asked for advice and they said in their county they did not list accounts with OR. Since the bank converted everythign to my name with just the death certificate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">