• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank Accounts that are in trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DaveNY

I live in NY and the estate is in NY.

My sister died and left no will. She had a bank savings account and a credit union savings account. Both accounts are in trust for me. Since they were in trust to me does that mean they get handled outside of the normal estate distribution and they would come directly to me in total?

BlondiePB

DaveNY said:
I live in NY and the estate is in NY.

My sister died and left no will. She had a bank savings account and a credit union savings account. Both accounts are in trust for me. Since they were in trust to me does that mean they get handled outside of the normal estate distribution and they would come directly to me in total?
ITF (In Trust For) accounts by-pass probate. Take an original death certificate to the bank.

If the money is in a revocable trust that is now irrevocable upon your sister's passing, the terms of the trust still stand and under control of the trustee. These trusts also by-pass probate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">