• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

brother in law passed away, who is responsible for his debt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MISTYJADE

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Ohio
my brother in law passed away last week. He was 21 years old. He lived in a rental property and had no "estate". He did however have some debt. My mother and father in law have two loans they co signed and the funeral debt. He also had a few small credit card accounts. My question is are my inlaws responsible to pay his credit accounts and his utilities? one of the credit card companies mentioned they send the account to their probate department. What does that mean for my inlaws and what can they expect to do? Thank you so much for your help we appreciate the advice.

Some Random Guy

The credit card people can go after the estate only. Relatives are not responsible for CC debt. However, the cosigners of the loans are on the hook for the full amount. They better take over payments before any penalites kick in for non-payment/late payment.

MISTYJADE

estate

In the State of Ohio,
legally, what is considered his estate? If there were no bank accounts and he lived in a rental what would be left that creditors would consider an estate? Thanks for the advice his parents are having a really hard time dealing and i am trying to help them out. Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">