• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Brother is a theif

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

auntmimi

Kentucky

My brother is the executor of our fathers estate. when our fathers life insurance paid off to the executor, he took the money, paid 2,000 to the funeral home and kept the remainder. The funeral home is going to put a lein on the home, to get the rest of the expenses, almost 10,000. There are five of us altogther, one of which is in Iraq, and I am unsure of what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions? The home is the only thing the five of us have left, and the only thing my father left us. What kind of legal action can we take, or at least what action I can take, because I seem to be the only one who even cares.

lwpat

Unfortunately for you and the others, life insurance only belongs to the beneficiary. Here it appears that he was the beneficiary and can do anything or nothing with the money. You have no rights to it.

You need to go to the probate court and see what is on file. Then you can discuss the status with the clerk but they cannot give you any legal advice.

Dandy Don

Did he leave a will? Are there other assets in the estate--what is the estate worth besides the life insurance? Has the will been submitted for probate court? What is the house worth and is it paid for or is there still an outstanding mortgage on it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">