• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Brother trying to take POA away from me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

collie10

California

My brother and I are both successor co-trustees of our fathers estate who passed away last year. He is trying to get me removed because hes not happy he has not received his share from house yet in which I reside in. I am POA and also in the trust it does state that I am able to live in the house and maintain it. The house will remain in Trust with equal shares. I have attempted to get a loan to pay him off but was denied because of my credit score in which he was aware of. As it is I felt so bad I let him borrow $15,000. Now he is upset and has gone so far to tell me that he will call the cops on me, tell them there are drugs in the house and has given them the right to enter the house with out a warrant to look for drugs. He is a retired cop. Can he do this to me? He also wants to take my POA away too.

California

My brother and I are both successor co-trustees of our fathers estate who passed away last year. He is trying to get me removed because hes not happy he has not received his share from house yet in which I reside in. I am POA and also in the trust it does state that I am able to live in the house and maintain it. The house will remain in Trust with equal shares. I have attempted to get a loan to pay him off but was denied because of my credit score in which he was aware of. As it is I felt so bad I let him borrow $15,000. Now he is upset and has gone so far to tell me that he will call the cops on me, tell them there are drugs in the house and has given them the right to enter the house with out a warrant to look for drugs. He is a retired cop. Can he do this to me? He also wants to take my POA away too.
The power of attorney (POA) ended on your father's death.

latigo

California

As you have been told when a person "crosses over", worldly stuff like POA's don't accompany them. (Apparently their sins do, but that is about it.) In fact you might consider gift wrapping the POA and sending it to bro.

Now about this threatened police search business: If the house is clean, why are you protesting so?

Next: You attempted to obtain a loan to "pay off" your brother? Pay him for what? Or hasn't it occurred to you that neither of you hold a transferable interest/title in the home?

And getting back to the subject of "crossing over" and you two siblings childishly squabbling so, it seems a shame that pop couldn't have taken the house and the rest of the trust corpus/assets with him.

Just Blue

As you have been told when a person "crosses over", worldly stuff like POA's don't accompany them. (Apparently their sins do, but that is about it.) In fact you might consider gift wrapping the POA and sending it to bro.

Now about this threatened police search business: If the house is clean, why are you protesting so?

Next: You attempted to obtain a loan to "pay off" your brother? Pay him for what? Or hasn't it occurred to you that neither of you hold a transferable interest/title in the home?

And getting back to the subject of "crossing over" and you two siblings childishly squabbling so, it seems a shame that pop couldn't have taken the house and the rest of the trust corpus/assets with him.
I agree. I don't understand "adult" children that fight over their parents "stuff". It truly makes me ill. My brother has just a month or two left (late stage 4 cancer) and his 26 year old daughter was mad at him cause he did not give her his car. I want to smack her offside the head! Someday she is going to grow up and realize what a terrible thing she did and will give herself a kick in the aZZ. :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">