• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

but I am the beneficiary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bethnde1

What is the name of your state? DE

HELPPPPPPPPP, I lost my fiance in a tragic car accident on September 7, 2005, which happened to be only 17 days before our wedding. He had just begun a new job on July 1, 2005, and after a couple of days of work he was given his life insurance paperwork to fill out. At the time he was renting a camper out from his sister, until we got married, so one day he advised her that he was meeting up with me to do the beneficiary paperwork, which really irrated his sister. She wanted to know why he would select me when we weren't even married yet. First of all, because we have dated on and off for 13 years. His reply was simply "Because I love her and Nicholle and want to be sure they're taken care of in case something were to happen to me" Nicholle is my 16 year old daughter who he raised since she was less than a year old. We met up, did the paperwork, and he was actually living with me prior to the day he died. Now there were three tiers of insurance that my daughter and I were entitled to, the first tier being times to of his income that his employer gave for free, then Brian (my fiance) bought another times two of his income, and then there was an accidental death policy. All the tiers totaled out to $100,000 a piece. I submitted the claim in Feb. 2006. I was then paid out the first two tiers automatically, but was told for the accidental death I would need to wait until the state was done prosecuting the woman who hit him for the required police report and toxicology report. She was prosecuted on 9/15/06, so I waited until the end of October before calling the insurance company. On this day I was told there was a problem with them going any further. See, the medical examiner will not release the toxicology report with out the next of kin's permission, which is his sister. Low and behold, I received a letter today from the medical examiner saying they will not release it, because next of kin asked that they not release it for any intentions of the life insurance company or me. Her way of taking control, like everything in their lives, over something her Brother did that she didn't like. Now, what do I do? By the way, there was no will. Next of kin should have been mother who refused, so sister claims she filed something to be able to make all these next of kin decisions, not to mention the next of kin will also get paid by the lady who hit him's insurance company, so it's not like she needs to do this. PLEASE HELP!

Last edited:

nextwife

You REALLY need an attorney who can pursue obtaining a Court Order to get the insurance CO what it needs.

Bethnde1

getting a lawyer has seriously crossed my mind, but with me being disabled with barely any income, I didn't want to lose the money I did get, chasing something that I may lose. It's like gambling the money I got to go after something I'm not sure of. However, I probably will get a lawyer, but was more wondering what my rights were.

Dandy Don

It is absoutely IMPERATIVE that you get an attorney to help you get the court order--after the court order is obtained, it is a SURE THING that the coroner will produce the needed document after the court orders it.

I can't understand why you say you can't afford one if you have already gotten a $200,000 payout from 2 of the insurance tiers.

Did your fiance leave a last will and testament (what is the value of his estate not including the insurance) or is his estate going to be handled as intestate?

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">