• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can EDD put lien on tax refund?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sisaru

What is the name of your state? California

My son was killed last year & did not have a will, or anything of value. At the time of his death he owed the EDD for an overpayment of UI benefits & had been getting requests for payment. I called the EDD & explained the situation. I was told that the case would most likely be dismissed. This was last year. They have continued to send him notices for payment, even after I sent them a copy of his death certificate (per their instructions).

I recently filed his final tax return for 2005. My question is will the EDD take his tax refund once it comes, or put a lien on it?

Thank you for your input in advance.What is the name of your state?

the answer is yes. He recieved an overpayment for his unemployment benefits. These "State" funds are now owed back to State. A lien on any property and/or "State Tax refunds" can be placed until over payment has been cleared! Why wife has had you last two State refunds taking by State of California for same reason.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">