• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can executor sell & what risks to buyer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

supersway

What is the name of your state? Austin, Texas Travis County ETJ

A home I am considering purchasing is being sold by two 'Independent Co-Executors' of an estate with countless heirs. If purchased, I plan to repair as necessary and then happily live and work there.

They are selling it through a 'middle-man' who is active in the real estate networking community and was able to locate a buyer(me). My questions as plain as I can make them are:

1. Does the 'Independent Co-Executor' of a will have the right to sell a property from the estate with or without the blessings of all the heirs?

2. Will I as the new owner of the property be subject to any risks of future claims arising from concerns/interests of the various heirs?

I've heard owner title insurance can reduce some of the risk, but I am skeptical it can protect me from frustration, losing time, money, or even the home later. Can anybody offer guide me in the right direction?

Respectfully,
Don

pburchett

The seller may need to serve the heirs with notice as well as get a court order to sell the property. What does the will state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">