+ Reply to Thread
    Chance2007 is offline Junior Member

Can Executor sign/cash checks made out to the deceased?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
    My Mother died in July. She had more bills than money so her lawyer recommended that I have the bank write out a check to the funeral parlor to empty her bank account and avoid probate. Two checks (total value less than $300) have since arrived in her name. A small credit card refund for a cancelled account and one of her insurance claims was paid in her name for some reason instead of directly to the ambulance company. I would like to cash these checks and pay some more of her bills including the ambulance co. I had power of attorney when she was alive and am executor of her will. Can I endorse these checks? What do I do with them?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
    justalayman is offline Senior Member
    without probate, you are not the executor. You may have been nominated as such but until/unless court accepts you as such, you are simply a nominee.

You should look into small estate administration. Most states have such a process where it would allow you or somebody to do exactly what you are trying to do.

She had more bills than money so her lawyer recommended that I have the bank write out a check to the funeral parlor to empty her bank account and avoid probate.
    are you sure some sort of small estate administration hasn't been filed for? If not, I seriously question the legality of what happened.