• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I have co-executors?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

QueenofSpayeds

What is the name of your state? Texas

My sister is married to an Army officer and they live in Germany. She has 4 young children who depend on her---in short, it would be very difficult for her to pick up and come to Texas to settle my estate, which includes real estate (but not much money).

I would like to appoint a trusted friend as co-executor, to act as my sister's aide in probating my will and administering my estate. This friend would not be a beneficiary of my will (everything goes to my sister's children.)

Can I have two co-executors? I know that there can be multiple executors of a will when approval of both or all is needed. But can I have 2 independently functioning co-executors? (Because my goal is to make things easier on my sister, not harder. I don't want to require 2 signatures on everything.) I realize that this could be a recipe for disaster, but I trust both people involved to do the fair and honest thing.
Thank you.

Battlespace

My wife is a co-executor with a sister for their father. Talk about a mess! Sister is having a rough time dealing with the death. Has no idea where to start in property division, the will simply said to divide among the living children or their heirs. All the children are living. Be very careful and consult an attorney and then have both of them talk to you and to each other about what you desire and make sure they understand and agree while you are still here. After you die it is too late.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">