• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my Mom be Disinherited due to adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TexasGS

What is the name of your state? Colorado.
My Grandmother passed away with a will in place. My mom as well as others including grandchildren are named as heirs.The personal representative of the estate ( a supposed friend of my late Grams) Has mentioned trying to have my mom disinherited.Her grounds for this is the fact that my Grandmother put my mom up for adoption at a very early age.My mom was adopted . However
for over 70 years the mother daughter relation has been in place. My grandmother made visits to us as well as my mom and my mom visited her etc etc.Under Colorado law is The fact my mom was adopted grouds for disinheritance ?Keeping in my Mom is listed as an heir.
We believe this "tactic" is being used as "leverage" by the PR because we have been probing for questions reguarding the the handling of the estate and questioning the value of the estate.The PR has been less than informative and in some opinions even secretative.
If my question can be anwsered could you please give me a statute or something of that nature that qualifies the answer. Thank you for any help.
TexasGRandson.... [email protected]

seniorjudge

You don't have to be a blood relative to inherit from someone.

Ask the personal representative for a case, statute, law, rule, ordinance, whatever backing up her contentions.

TexasGS

thanks for the reply. I live in Texas. My Grandmother lived in CO. would you or anyone else have that staute or Law. I dont want to have to hire an attorney just to have that question answered.
Another matter in this estate is a "recently discovered" Handwritten Codicil
Giving the PR some overridding oil royalties .
By Colorado law do the codicils have to be witnessed for them to be "legal"
or would it be fair to say they could be challenged ?
My Grandmother has been gone now for over 2 years and we heard nothing
about the estate for 18 months. When and only whe we started questioning things did these codicils "suddenly" appear. We also just recently found that there was some real estate (unknown to anyone in the family) that the Pr is / was trying to sell. Is the PR obligated to provide the heirs with documentation as to any appraisals that have been done on said property ?
OR can she just do as she pleases and the heirs just recieve a dispersment and and take it that she handled everything on the up and up ? Thanks again for any help. :)

seniorjudge

TexasGS said:
thanks for the reply. I live in Texas. My Grandmother lived in CO. would you or anyone else have that staute or Law. I dont want to have to hire an attorney just to have that question answered.
Another matter in this estate is a "recently discovered" Handwritten Codicil
Giving the PR some overridding oil royalties .
By Colorado law do the codicils have to be witnessed for them to be "legal"
or would it be fair to say they could be challenged ?
My Grandmother has been gone now for over 2 years and we heard nothing
about the estate for 18 months. When and only whe we started questioning things did these codicils "suddenly" appear. We also just recently found that there was some real estate (unknown to anyone in the family) that the Pr is / was trying to sell. Is the PR obligated to provide the heirs with documentation as to any appraisals that have been done on said property ?
OR can she just do as she pleases and the heirs just recieve a dispersment and and take it that she handled everything on the up and up ? Thanks again for any help. :)

You really need a lawyer.

Yesterday....

lwpat

My guess is that the "friend" is living off the estate. All of the heirs need to get together and petition the court for a new PR.

You really need a lawyer.
Yesterday is not soon enough.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">