• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can one convey good title to a stolen home?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ursamajour

What is the name of your state? DC

Basically, my grandfather was the sole beneficiary in the notarized will of a woman he had lived with for more than 30 years. Upon her death, a great-nephew -or other represented himself as the heir to the estate by lying to the DC titling authorities about his relationship to the decedant and sold a home from the estate. My grandfather found out about this when the purchaser showed up to attempt to force vacation of the property. My question is this: it has long been held in common law that a thief may not convey good title to stolen property, even to a bona-fide purchaser. Could this principle be used in arguing this case? My thought on this is that the person who misrepresented himself to the government in order to dispose of the home stole the home, making an unwitting accomplice of the DC gov't. Anyone have ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">