• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can probabte drag on forever?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dawnnish

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY is where the estate is in probate although I reside in Florida. My mother died without a will back in Jan 05. The estate is mainly the house me and my brother grew up in, some stock options and savings. The house was only in Mom's name, my stepfather-who I agreed to be the executor in '05 as I thought it made sense-is not on the deed. He and my brother both reside there. I have requested info from attorneys recently, I think I may have to get my own at this point, but previously tried to just be patient. Anyone buying out the other one is out of the question, therefore the house eventually will need to be sold and divided (I already understand my stepfather is entitled to 50% and then me and my brother split the remaining 50%). Since my 40-something year old brother would be forced to actually take care of himself for the 1st time in his life, he is no hurry to sell and my stepfather isn't really moving things although I know he'd prefer to move closer to his daughter. The question is this-can those 2 just drag things on forever? Is there some point where a court would say "it must be split up among all"? or am I pretty much screwed and getting a lawyer myself would basically accomplish nothing?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">