• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can someone please help me real quick??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Maxwell217

What is the name of your state? :confused: Kentucky
Some of you may remember my earlier posts, well everything is coming to an end now, but I recently received some documents from my lawyer today and am having much trouble understanding what this one means.

It is a petition to set aside 15,000 exemption. I researched the statute, but still do not understand. This is what it says.

Personal Estate - Surplus personality of an intestate, left after the payment of funeral expenses, charges of administration and debts, subject to right, if any, of dower and curtesy, to same persons to whom real estate of intestate would descend, with these exceptions: (a) Personal estate of infant is distributed as though he had died after attaining full age; (b) alien may be distributee of personal estate; (c) personal property or money on hand or in bank up to $7,500 is exempt from distribution upon application, for surviving spouse, or if none, to surviving children. (KRS 391.030). Exemption also applies to surviving spouse of person dying intestate. (KRS391.030(4)). Special sections govern disposition of property that was created under community property laws of another state. (KRS 391.210).

If someone could translate this into english for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

Dandy Don

The exemption had been claimed, but perhaps the attorney found out subsequently that the estate was not eligible to claim it or maybe there was some other reason for it to be disallowed. This is something you need to be asking the attorney directly to have him/her provide an explanation/further clarification.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Maxwell217

I have tried to contact the attorney, with no luck thus far. Is this a common thing? Just want to be clear, as I do not understand what the statute is saying. Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">