• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Widow Elect to Challenge will after 18 mos?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? MO

Can my FIL's widow elect to take against the will 18 months after his death? She is trying to get the antenuptial set aside. In her petition, she asserts that because of the antenuptial she felt that she could not elect against the will, could not claim the support outlined in the MO statues and could not take the "homestead exemption".

We think she wants 1/2 of the estate. All that is left is the house worth about $235,000. My FIL left it to his children, but gave her a life estate. Our attorney asked for an extension for the hearing. I am a little confused, will she get half or would she get one third because there are two (of my FIL's children). I thought you had only six months to take against the will in MO. Any adivce would really be appreiciated.

Thanks!

Alber

lwpat

You attorney has access to the prenupt, the will and knows the current status of probate. He can answer your questions and that is what he is getting paid to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">