• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cashing tax return for my deceased brother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? CA

My brother died on March 15, 2006 of colon cancer. He had applied for his tax return of about $600 a couple of weeks prior, which arrived after his death. This tax return is the extent of his estate. We have a power of attorney granting my father any and all significant powers. He has deposited his son's checks into his own account before, as my brother did not have his own account.

Can he deposit this check into his account (among other things, they paid for his cremation, etc). If so, how would he sign it? If not, what if anything can he do?

My brother left no will, but he had made it clear that he wished my parents to get the proceeds of this small return.

They (my parents) want to avoid any possible problems. Any assisstance is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

cjbrown929 said:
What is the name of your state? CA

My brother died on March 15, 2006 of colon cancer. He had applied for his tax return of about $600 a couple of weeks prior, which arrived after his death. This tax return is the extent of his estate. We have a power of attorney granting my father any and all significant powers. He has deposited his son's checks into his own account before, as my brother did not have his own account.

Can he deposit this check into his account (among other things, they paid for his cremation, etc). If so, how would he sign it? If not, what if anything can he do?

They (my parents) want to avoid any possible problems. Any assisstance is greatly appreciated.
The second your brother died the POA became worthless. Tell dad to speak with a local attorney or file for small estate probate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">