• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claiming Assets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ks01

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

Hello I am trying to claim assets presumed abandoned in Missouri for my wife's late grandfather. He lived and died in Edina, Missouri. The paper I recieved from the state says I need a Copy of Final Order of Distribution and Probated Will for the Estate. Does anyone have an idea where I would start to look for this?

Thank You.

anteater

Start with the courthouse in the county that Edina is in. You can probably find out if there is a probate case file over the phone by supplying grandfather's name and approximate date of death. If there is a file, the clerks there might be able to copy and send for a fee. Otherwise, you could visit the courthouse and get a copy.

JETX

Hello I am trying to claim assets presumed abandoned in Missouri for my wife's late grandfather. He lived and died in Edina, Missouri. The paper I recieved from the state says I need a Copy of Final Order of Distribution and Probated Will for the Estate. Does anyone have an idea where I would start to look for this?
State unclaimed property agency's don't just release assets to anyone who claims ownership. You have to prove you are the person or prove that you are the authorized agent for their estate, as appointed by the probate court. If you can't prove either of those, they will not release the funds/assets to you.
You will have to contact the probate court in the county were he died or had assets and get an order from that court confirming that you are the executor (personal representative) of the estate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">