• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claims Woes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

megancr

What is the name of your state? NJ

My boyfriend was involved in an accident that occurred in PA, we both however live(d) in NJ. The accident unfortunatley took his life, now I am running into issues w/ my insurance company. We were together for 5 years, and the auto insurance policy was in my name. He is the owner of the vehicle and was also a driver on my policy. My insurance company states that an executor of estate must be determined, who would be my boyfriends next of kin. The vehicle is totalled there are funeral, death, and collision benefits under my policy. Am I not entitled to anything even though I am the policy holder??? I am the profit sharing beneficiary under his work life insurance and his mother was the life insurance beneficiary, however 2 days after my boyfriends accident his mother passed. He does have other family members, should I expect nothing???? :confused:

Dandy Don

Check at the county courthouse surrogate court to find out if your boyfriend's family (or an attorney they may have hired) has filed to become executor/administrator of his estate.

Do you even know if he left a last will and testament or not?

If no one has filed yet, YOU can do so if you wish or you can hire an attorney to do so.

The reason that the insurance company is asking about the executor/administrator is that they will need to deal with the executor/administrator in an official capacity regarding the accident--it doesn't mean that the payout will automatically go to the estate and his family, although that might be a possible outcome.

Weren't YOU named as beneficiary on the policy you bought? If that is the case, then who gets paid can still be worked out/negotiated as the process goes farther along.

You may want to consult with a probate attorney to find out what state law says about exactly who is eligible to inherit in this estate and to find out what you can do to assert/protect your rights in case the insurance company does not want to pay you.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">