• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Closing probate without consent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

redundant echo

What is the name of your state? Florida
My father died Jan. 2003 in Florida with my brother being the executor. My sister & I received papers to close probate April, 2005. The only asset is a piece of property that is divided 33 1/3% for each. The property value on the first request to close probate is $7000, which was very low-ball at that time. My brother has not answered any questions regarding the bottom line on what amount he will be taking & has hinted he paid our father’s medical bill, etc., which is questionable, since there was m/care & if no money as he asserts, m/caid would pay the remaining 20%. When asked for a itemized list of costs, we were ignored & told he threw the receipts out. My sister & I did not sign off on probate because he was not upfront with us on anything. This weekend, we have been served by my brother’s attorney with a Petition for Summary Administration, which I take as closing probate without our signatures & consent unless we respond within 20 days. The property is now valued on this document as $20,000 & not greater than $75,000. I have not had the property appraised, but know the market for the land is around $50k-$60k & the county appraised it at $40k for tax purposes. If & when probate closes, will my brother be able to sell the property without our signatures & how are we assured we will receive the true selling amount. We feel that he will probably sell & give us 1/3 of $20,000 minus his fees or nothing if our signitures aren't required on anything. Are we entitled to know what his fees will be upfront & be given true itemized receipts? What is considered reasonable fees other than taxes & attorney fees? We are at a loss at how to proceed & only have 15 more days to do so.What is the name of your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">