• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Co-Administrator

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

azizn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My mother recently passed in February without a will. I have four siblings and during a conference call (a few days ago) it was decided to appoint one of the brothers as Administrator. I am becoming concerned because during the conversation it was revealed that our sister had contacted our mother's retirement program (CalPERS) two days after she passed. There was a question on the form that she wanted an answer to and she asked it during the conference call. After the call, I started wondering why my brother (who wants to be the Administrator) didn't ask any questions about the documents our sister received from CalPERS. He didn't ask why she had them or what they contained. I'm wondering if I should ask to be named co-Administrator as full disclosure does not seem to be a concern.

Dandy Don

There is no real cause for concern. Sister may just be more business-minded and as a family member she had the right to know if a beneficiary had been named for this account or whether it will go into the estate.
Brother may not know everything involved in being an administrator, which means you should suggest to him that he purchase a book about the duties of an executor to help him along. Give him the benefit of the doubt
and let him perform his duties. Being co-administrator is more cumbersome and it takes less time for one person to make a decision than to have multiple parties making a decision.

OHRoadwarrior

Her pension if it has designated beneficiaries transfers to them outside of the estate. They will seek info to contact all beneficiaries. If there is no beneficiaries named, it must be probated as part of the estate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">