• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

co-executors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RIPTORN

Minnesota.

Roles, responsiblities, rights, and purpose of co-executors...

If siblings are identified as co-executors in thier parents will what should one know about this situation? For example; does one executor trump the other (hierarchy) and what should other family members know about this?

Thanks,
RT

seniorjudge

RIPTORN said:
Minnesota.

Roles, responsiblities, rights, and purpose of co-executors...

If siblings are identified as co-executors in thier parents will what should one know about this situation? For example; does one executor trump the other (hierarchy) and what should other family members know about this?

Thanks,
RT
Co-executors are always a bad idea and your post proves it. The co-executors must follow the terms of the will and the orders of the court.

And I'll bet that the will doesn't answer your question.

So, you will have to go to the probate court where the will is being probated and ask the judge.

More money for lawyers!!! :D

Battlespace

wife and sister

My wife and her sister are co-executors for their parents. Their mom died last week and the haggling is already starting with the other two children trying to pick and choose sides. I see a long road ahead for this. BAD IDEA from the get-go.

RIPTORN

Co-executors

Minnesota.

Ok guys,gals.

I have a large family that has its dynamics; some siblings are soft spoken and meek and some are a little rough. Mom and dad have identified two siblings to be co-executors to their will (estate) and they, the currently assigned co-executors, may not be ready to cope with the "rough" sibling. There is also a fear, however realistic or likely, that the rough one being a lawyer them self may try some legal maneuver to gain the upper hand (can you smell the distrust?). So, what I was trying to get too is is the law such that the co-executors need to work in harmony thus standing a better chance against the one or can they be divided and concured?

Also at issue is the estate itself. This estate, as many do, has real property that has been placed in the names of all the siblings jointly PRIOR to my parents death. Upon death of the last parent the real property becomes the property of all the named siblings. Can one sibling effect physical change to or on the real property w/o consent from the other siblings?

RT

seniorjudge

RIPTORN said:
Minnesota.

Ok guys,gals.

I have a large family that has its dynamics; some siblings are soft spoken and meek and some are a little rough. Mom and dad have identified two siblings to be co-executors to their will (estate) and they, the currently assigned co-executors, may not be ready to cope with the "rough" sibling. There is also a fear, however realistic or likely, that the rough one being a lawyer them self may try some legal maneuver to gain the upper hand (can you smell the distrust?). So, what I was trying to get too is is the law such that the co-executors need to work in harmony thus standing a better chance against the one or can they be divided and concured?

Also at issue is the estate itself. This estate, as many do, has real property that has been placed in the names of all the siblings jointly PRIOR to my parents death. Upon death of the last parent the real property becomes the property of all the named siblings. Can one sibling effect physical change to or on the real property w/o consent from the other siblings?

RT

So ma and pa are not even dead?! I think it's time y'all had a serious chat with them and ask them to please change the personal representative to a corporate entity.

Q: So, what I was trying to get too is is the law such that the co-executors need to work in harmony thus standing a better chance against the one or can they be divided and concured?

A: I do not know what "concured" means, but the co-executors can certainly be divided.

Q: Also at issue is the estate itself.

A: Eh? What do you mean?

Q: This estate, as many do, has real property that has been placed in the names of all the siblings jointly PRIOR to my parents death. Upon death of the last parent the real property becomes the property of all the named siblings. Can one sibling effect physical change to or on the real property w/o consent from the other siblings?

A: I am not sure what you are saying. Re-ask the question without trying to sound like a lawyer.

In any event, this stuff, depending on the way the deeds are written, will not pass through probate.

I am not sure what the "effect physical change" stuff means. Break it down.

Listen, man, I am a judge. I need stuff real simple, clear, and plain. Stop the fog.

RIPTORN

Bear with me...here it is in black and white.

I thought I was clear...mmmm. OK, black and white.

My sisters have been told they are "co-executors". Fine, brother #3 is a pain in the butt and is trying to make changes to the real property even as I write this (mom and dad are too old to stop him really and the rest of us can't since the house isn't ours)... with me so far? We've been told by mom and dad that the house is in all our names NOW and when they die that it would be "all of ours". Suppose they die tomorrow and brother number 3 decides to start a pickle farm on the property, can he do that with out all siblings consent?
Perhaps the better question is how did they put it in our names? Can they? We've never asked, we've just been told. If they can and did what recourse is there to stopping someone hell bent on tearing the house down and building a convent?

BTW, the intended word was conquered..my spelling was...well, not good.
It's almost parcel-tongue.....

RT

seniorjudge

Q: Perhaps the better question is how did they put it in our names?

A: Have a local title company run a title report on the real estate owned by ma and pa. Then YOU go hire your own lawyer to represent YOUR interests.

Every time you post you add and change details.

I can't keep up with it anymore.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">