• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Complex International Probate Case "Help needed"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

allymac

:) What is the name of your state? Conneticut

Hi I am looking for some professional guidance:

I am Scottish,but reside in Poland:

I am helping some neighbours (who do not speak any english) with a US probate case. They are the sole beneficiaries to an estate in Conneticut,which an executor has been appointed,who incidentally doesnt receive anything from the will.

The executors lawyers have contacted the beneficiaries to state that there is a house to be sold, as part of the estate (along with some money), Is there any guidelines or safeguards in place to prevent the house being sold under the current market value?
also can they request a statement of the estate? under which timescale do the estate have to be determined ?

What are reasonable costs for the executor and his lawyers to ask for administering the will ? :)

The executors lawyers have sent a letter stating that the proceeds will be distributed after "they determine which taxes are due to the state and federal govenmrnt,which is a very complicated process and will take months to complete" How true is this statement, I am not familiar with any of your countries laws and have no idea what the proper legal process is,and what pitfalls should I look out for?

Absolutely any advice in this matter would be ever so gratefully appreciated,as I am scared that because of the distance,and also thay are very simple and poor people,coupled with the fact that they have no legal representation that they may lose out on anything that they have been left. Or be penalised because of no understanding of what the proper procedures are?. i.e forms to be filed,that sort of thing.

Please can anyone help out with some advice.

regards and hopeful thanks

Ally

S

seniorjudge

allymac said:
:) What is the name of your state? Conneticut

Hi I am looking for some professional guidance:

I am Scottish,but reside in Poland:

I am helping some neighbours (who do not speak any english) with a US probate case. They are the sole beneficiaries to an estate in Conneticut,which an executor has been appointed,who incidentally doesnt receive anything from the will.

The executors lawyers have contacted the beneficiaries to state that there is a house to be sold, as part of the estate (along with some money), Is there any guidelines or safeguards in place to prevent the house being sold under the current market value?
also can they request a statement of the estate? under which timescale do the estate have to be determined ?

What are reasonable costs for the executor and his lawyers to ask for administering the will ? :)

The executors lawyers have sent a letter stating that the proceeds will be distributed after "they determine which taxes are due to the state and federal govenmrnt,which is a very complicated process and will take months to complete" How true is this statement, I am not familiar with any of your countries laws and have no idea what the proper legal process is,and what pitfalls should I look out for?

Absolutely any advice in this matter would be ever so gratefully appreciated,as I am scared that because of the distance,and also thay are very simple and poor people,coupled with the fact that they have no legal representation that they may lose out on anything that they have been left. Or be penalised because of no understanding of what the proper procedures are?. i.e forms to be filed,that sort of thing.

Please can anyone help out with some advice.

regards and hopeful thanks

Ally
Q: Is there any guidelines or safeguards in place to prevent the house being sold under the current market value?

A: Yes, the folks need to get a lawyer in Connecticut to represent THEIR interests (not the estate's interests). Ask these people for a referral:

http://www.ctbar.org/article/articleview/291

Q: also can they request a statement of the estate?

A: Yes; in fact, they SHOULD request an inventory immediately. This will tell them what is in the estate.

Q: under which timescale do the estate have to be determined ?

A: I do not know.

Q: What are reasonable costs for the executor and his lawyers to ask for administering the will ?

A: This is set by statute or by the court or both. When your folks hire a lawyer, they should ask their lawyer this question.

Q: The executors lawyers have sent a letter stating that the proceeds will be distributed after "they determine which taxes are due to the state and federal govenmrnt,which is a very complicated process and will take months to complete" How true is this statement, I am not familiar with any of your countries laws and have no idea what the proper legal process is,and what pitfalls should I look out for?

A: This is a very true statement. You are, after all, dealing with the government and government here is the same as government anywhere: clumsy, slow, inept, and prone to error. In fact, after you send the taxing authorities there money, expect a bill later on for more money because you made a mistake in the first amount you sent in. In other words, save the dough when you get it and do not spend it because the government will eventually want more.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">