• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

concerned

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

slurpeeheaven

My husband died almost three years ago.I went to a lawyer my sis n law had hired and comes to find out that lawyer didn't know my late husband was still legally married at time of death.the lawyer stated everything has to change now.I didn't know what he meant so I let it go.now two years later I went to talk to him and he told me he needed my marriage licence and death cert plus an affidavit signed by two people.the money is sitting escrow and I'm worried I may lose it.what can I do I have no money to hire a lawyer.

adjusterjack

They told me I needed a lawyer to get that money since there was no will
What money?
How much money?
Where did it come from?
What escrow?
Whose lawyer?
Presumably the lawyer explained why you needed what he said you needed.
If you didn't understand it, have him send you a letter explaining it and post it here.

I can almost guarantee that we aren't getting the complete story.

You'll need to explain things a little better.

Silverplum

My husband died almost three years ago.I went to a lawyer my sis n law had hired and comes to find out that lawyer didn't know my late husband was still legally married at time of death.the lawyer stated everything has to change now.I didn't know what he meant so I let it go.now two years later I went to talk to him and he told me he needed my marriage licence and death cert plus an affidavit signed by two people.the money is sitting escrow and I'm worried I may lose it.what can I do I have no money to hire a lawyer.
I don't know about the affidavit, but what's preventing you from giving the attorney your marriage certificate and husband's death certificate?

slurpeeheaven

What money?
How much money?
Where did it come from?
What escrow?
Whose lawyer?
Presumably the lawyer explained why you needed what he said you needed.
If you didn't understand it, have him send you a letter explaining it and post it here.

I can almost guarantee that we aren't getting the complete story.

You'll need to explain things a little better.
My late husband was left a share of money from his aunts property.that money was to b divided between him his sister and a cousin.before he could sign paperwork to get that money he dies and had no will. So he agrees to leave his share to his only son.therefore my sister n law took me to sign those papers that would release his share to my son and the lawyer asked me who I was and I told him I was his wife and the lawyer look upset and said he wasn't aware if my late husband being married and that he couldn't finish the case.the distribution of funds had to change cause of he being .married. When I went two years later to find out bout that money the lawyer told me its in an escrow account. Bout 10k..the lawyer was hired by my sister in-law.that lawyer asked my for documentation of our marriage and death certificate. Plus affidavits signed by two people who knew us and him fathering only our son

anteater

I already gave him copies of those
So, it's just the affidavits? Why not ask the attorney if he has some templates for those?

If not, I would bet that it is what is called an affidavit of heirship. Do a search with those terms and I bet you will find some forms.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Offer to pay the attorney a reasonable fee for providing the affidavit and guidance on completing it. He should agree to it because he can recover from the amount due to you if he sets up the agreement that way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">