• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

(Conflicting State Trust Laws)&The Uniform Declaratory Judgments Act

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

forumguest

What is the name of your state?Rhode Island and Florida

My grandfather's trust was written in Rhode Island in 1952. His estate included Supermarkets that he and his brothers and/ or relatives owned in Rhode Island and Connecticut from around 1910 until he and his relatives died in the 1970s that were involved in the supermarkets.

No ancillary proceedings were instituted in Rhode Island when my grandfather died in 1967 at 62 (Perhaps because his supermarkets were incorporated in his Rhode Island real estate company?) A guardian ad litem was appointed by the court in Florida around 1973 to represent me after my father started a conversion proceeding against my grandmother whom was also living in Florida in 1972

To keep things short. For some reason I don't know if it was the attorneys mistake or the parties to the trust mistake etcetera but for some reason they by mistake or for some other reason defined me as a contingent beneficiary which was contrary to what the trust said. Later when I asked... why was I via my mother never served notice by the lawyers? I was told that I was never a beneficiary but perhaps a contingent beneficiary and thus I was never entitled to notice.

But a review of the Probate case law at the time of my grandfathers death in 1967 and 1968 the law in Florida said that contingent beneficiaries and vested beneficiaries were "Trust beneficiaries" and that as a "Trust Beneficiary" the personal representives attorney was required to send me or in my case I was 5 years old when my grandfather died my mother notice of the probate proceedings as well as all accountings etcetera.(my mother and father were divorced when I was around 2 years old in Arizona).

The Guardian Ad litem never served me via my mother as well any notice that he was appointed by the court around 1973 to represent me etcetera.

Well without going into all the details. The Florida courts and lawyers in general in Florida consider the clauses in the Will to mean that I was never a beneficiary perhaps a contingent beneficiary. But when I showed the very same Will to Rhode Island attorneys they clearly say some even in writing that under the terms of the trust that I was a vested beneficiary.

The problem is that with the passage of so many years and the complexity of the trust unless I have a statement from some authoritive source such as a Rhode island Court for example saying that I was a vested beneficiary of the trust and not just a contingent beneficiary that I will not be able to get my foot in the door in the Florida state courts especially as a pro se litigant.

My question is that because the trust was written in Rhode Island and because lawyers and parties in Florida and Rhode Island are so conflicted on what the trust says... can I ask the Rhode Island court to review the trust and advise me what my rights are under it under Rhode Islands law under Rhode Island law G.L. 1956 § 9-30-1?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">