• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confused in Arizona

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sharra

What is the name of your state? Arizona
My brother in law recently passed away- he was only 22 so he did not have a will.
The executors were named as his Mother and Father who are divorced and my husband is only his half brother.
My question is we have one of his vehicles (Street Bike) in our possession that he gave to my husband. It was not paid off. I have called the company and they ask for the documents that prove who the executor is and they already have the death certificate. They told me that the title would be free and clear when the documents were received- is this possible? Can they ride off this debt and send a free and clear title to us?
Please advise-
Thank you

sharra

I'm not sure whos name the loan is in? The balance on the bike should be an upwards of 11K? We knew that when he gave us the bike and I have it on his credit report. I know that Mother and Dad have not paid any of his debts however? Is it possible for all his creditors to ride these balances off or have the parents just ignored them? In that case who do the bills fall back on too?
Thanks again for all your help!

ladybg1

the state motor vehicle records can tell if there is a lien on the bike & to whom. Then you should be able to contact that business & determine the bal due. If they tell you $10 & are willing to give a clear title if that is paid, pay it. Then you would have to go thru the probate court to be able to transfer the clean title from his name to yours. If it really is more like $11k--you would have to pay it to get the title cleared.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">