• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Consent to probate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

puravida1969

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New york

Hi. I am the named executor in my fathers will. I am petitioning to probate the will in a New York surrogate court.

I understand I must make sure no other beneficiary objects my petition. Which form I should send the other heirs for consent. Shall I send:

"Waiver of Citation, Renunciation and consent to appointment of administration"

or

"Waiver of process: Consent to probate"

The forms are similar, please let me know the difference and which one I should send to my sister and step mom to sign.

Thanks

anteater

Not being in New York and not being familiar with the forms, I hesitate to make a definite statement, but...

A "Waiver of Citation, Renunciation and consent to appointment of administration" would likely be applicable if your father died without a will. For the court to appoint you as the estate Administrator, others with a right to appointment would need to renounce that right and consent to your appointment.

puravida1969

Thanks anteater. I think you are right. I re-read the forms for the 13th time and I think the key is the difference between letters of Administration versus Testamentary.

"Waiver of Citation, Renunciation and consent to appointment of administration" - This is gain consent for Letters of Administration ( without a Will )

"Waiver of process: Consent to probate" - this is to gain consent for letters Testamentary ( with a Will )

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">