• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

conspiring guardian without a hearing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

garyakirsch

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ohio

BACKGROUND HISTORY

My wife, learning disabled, was the subject of a guardianship hearing in the early 1990's. The subsequent investigation and hearing found her to be competent, and the court recommended a conservatorship which was subsequently applied for and granted.

In 1995 my wife's daughter, then two yo, was taken into "temporary custody" by CSB. Custody was extended numerous times by requiring endless evaluations and case plans, with return of custody to mom in Dec 99 after a custody hearing.

In 1997 the first conservator resigned, and a new conservator was applied for. The application on file in probate court clearly states a conservator was requested for the person only, "to assist mother in making medical decisions for herself and daughter". There was neither investigation nor hearing regarding this appointment.

The "time stamped" copy of the conservator's letter of appointment had a typewritten addition, not separately time stamped or otherwise endorsed, that stated, "to make all medical, social, psychological, and visitation decisions" for the daughter. [note this is time stamped 1997 and the daughter is in CSB custody from 1995 until 1999]

The appointed conservator is an attorney and registered nurse, well known to the probate court. Indeed, the person involved also later became the guardian (of death) in a nationally reported case in which probate court attempted to have the guardian appointed specifically for the purpose of terminating life support of the baby against the will of the parents.

A review of the ORC confirmed for me that only a competent adult can apply for and receive a conservatorship and further confirmed that guardianship powers can only be granted subsequent to investigation and findings of incompetence at hearing.

WHY THE ABOVE HISTORY MATTERS

In 2000 the daughter underwent surgery. The surgery went terribly wrong resulting in emergency re-surgery to correct a failed surgical site with massive hemorrhage. Total hospitalization lasted 4 full months. Mother stayed, or rather attempted to stay, at daughters bedside.

As hospital staff (same hospital as the nationally reported case referenced above) became increasingly annoyed with mother, they recruited the conservator to "act as liason" to limit mother's visits. As mother resisted all attempts to limit her visits with near-death daughter, the conservator progressively informed staff she was only a conservator and little she could do, gradually changing to informing she "could go to probate court", and eventually declaring she went to court and now had full guardian powers.

THE CONSPIRACY, FRAUD, AND MISREPRESENTATION, BEGINS

Conservator began signing all hospital consent forms, at first as guardian, then conservator. CSB was following all along and declined to intervene with mother. {there is no record of her either going to court or obtaining any court-ordered powers whatsoever}. [we also have full documentation that CSB informed both conservator and hospital staff that CSB had no case and even doubted whether they should be involved in a supervisory capacity]

Apparently deciding that since CSB refused to restrict mothers visits, she "had to do what she had to do", Conservator absolutely forbid mother to visit, at first with instructions to security, then with multiple moves of daughter to distant facilities. Upon the child's subsequent recovery and CSB's refusal to intervene, conservator hatched a secret plan to have daughter sent to Florida, out of mother's reach, until CSB could be pressured to manufacture any excuse to plead with a magistrate for emergency temporary custody.

CSB made up some excuse, the magistrate granted temp custody, conservator argued secretly at "coordinated service team" meetings for permanent custody to CSB, and eventually testified as the key witness against mother twice at the eventual permanent custody hearing. Permanent custody to CSB was granted.

Conservator never told her conservatee what she was doing. We have a tape and transcript of conservator denying what she was secretly doing against mother's interests and assuring mother she was a good mother and everything would work out alright.

We have extensive documentation of all the above.

Of course none of the above information was ever heard or considered at the pc trial, the appeal, the 60b, the petition to the Ohio Supreme Court, or the application for writ of habeus corpus. The Bar complaint was dismissed with the argument that the conservator "thought" the court gave have the powers.

QUESTIONS TO THE LAWYERS ON THIS FORUM

1. Under ORC can probate court legally grant guardianship powers over the child via an application for conservatorship?

2. Did the conservator act legally and ethically?

3. Did Probate Court act legally and ethically?

3. If the answers for 1 and 2 and 3 are negative, can any action now be taken against either the judge or the conservator?

4. If the conservator knew or should have known that the court did not legally have the power to grant the powers of guardianship over the child, can she defend herself in an action by asserting that the court gave her the powers?

5. Can the judge rely on judicial immunity as a defense?

6. Can any proposed action survive a summary judgement?

7. Any legal theories on damages?

8. Any legal theories on actions?

9. What is pro bono? I'm broke after paying for all the appeals. I even wrote 98% of the legal briefs myself to save money.

10. Any way to emancipate daughter?

SIDEBAR

The daughter was placed with "Uncle Mike" in Florida and mother and daughter communicate by phone and text since Oct 08 and had an at home visit of one week this summer. Daughter desperately wants to move home with mommy and mommy desperately wants daughter back. However, mean Uncle Mike keeps taking away the phone every time he gets mad at daughter or mother prompting both to threaten suicide. Daughter's DOB 12-3-1993. It is hoped but by no means certain that they will be reunited when daughter turns 18 and graduates HS.

11. If actions are possible, which actions would you recommend?

12. Isn't the above enough?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

BlondiePB

If OG replies to this, she may also want to know when did you and your wife get married?

This post was way too long for me to read all the way through.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ohio

BACKGROUND
WHY THE ABOVE HISTORY MATTERS

In 2000 the daughter underwent surgery. The surgery went terribly wrong resulting in emergency re-surgery to correct a failed surgical site with massive hemorrhage. Total hospitalization lasted 4 full months. Mother stayed, or rather attempted to stay, at daughters bedside.

As hospital staff (same hospital as the nationally reported case referenced above) became increasingly annoyed with mother, they recruited the conservator to "act as liason" to limit mother's visits. As mother resisted all attempts to limit her visits with near-death daughter, the conservator progressively informed staff she was only a conservator and little she could do, gradually changing to informing she "could go to probate court", and eventually declaring she went to court and now had full guardian powers.
Mr. Kirsch why didn't your wife check the court records at the time?

THE CONSPIRACY, FRAUD, AND MISREPRESENTATION, BEGINS

Conservator began signing all hospital consent forms, at first as guardian, then conservator. CSB was following all along and declined to intervene with mother. {there is no record of her either going to court or obtaining any court-ordered powers whatsoever}.
And when did mom find out that there was no record?

[we also have full documentation that CSB informed both conservator and hospital staff that CSB had no case and even doubted whether they should be involved in a supervisory capacity]
Okay.

Apparently deciding that since CSB refused to restrict mothers visits, she "had to do what she had to do", Conservator absolutely forbid mother to visit, at first with instructions to security, then with multiple moves of daughter to distant facilities. Upon the child's subsequent recovery and CSB's refusal to intervene, conservator hatched a secret plan to have daughter sent to Florida, out of mother's reach, until CSB could be pressured to manufacture any excuse to plead with a magistrate for emergency temporary custody.
So mom did not go to court when she was forbidden for an emergency ex parte order to force her way into Hospital? I can guess what case (nationally recognized) and what hospital would have granted her a court order to see her child. CSB would not have manufactured an EXCUSE nor would the magistrates at Juvenile Court had fallen for an excuse because it takes more than a shelter care hearing to get custody of a child. So did mom get appointed counsel through Juvenile COurt?

CSB made up some excuse, the magistrate granted temp custody, conservator argued secretly at "coordinated service team" meetings for permanent custody to CSB, and eventually testified as the key witness against mother twice at the eventual permanent custody hearing. Permanent custody to CSB was granted.
Only after a year in which mom should have and could have completed her case plan. Did she have appointed counsel? What was required on her case plan? At Shelter care ETC would have been appointed. At Adjudication thirty days later (approximately) TC would have been granted. Then there would have been a dispositional hearing. Did her attorney attend CST meetings? What was mom required to do on her case plan? What did she complete -- everything?

Conservator never told her conservatee what she was doing. We have a tape and transcript of conservator denying what she was secretly doing against mother's interests and assuring mother she was a good mother and everything would work out alright.
Okay.

We have extensive documentation of all the above.
It is possible the conservator could have been wrong but that does NOT mean fraud or conspiracy.

Of course none of the above information was ever heard or considered at the pc trial, the appeal, the 60b, the petition to the Ohio Supreme Court, or the application for writ of habeus corpus. The Bar complaint was dismissed with the argument that the conservator "thought" the court gave have the powers.
So your understanding was that her CONSERVATOR was also HER attorney for the juvenile court? Bad move on mom's part. The PC Trial was where the info should have been introduced IF mom gave her attorney the information and it was relevant. Also if she had an appeal, the 60b and the petition to the Ohio Supreme Court you -- actually mom is done. There is no more.

QUESTIONS TO THE LAWYERS ON THIS FORUM

1. Under ORC can probate court legally grant guardianship powers over the child via an application for conservatorship?

2. Did the conservator act legally and ethically?

3. Did Probate Court act legally and ethically?

3. If the answers for 1 and 2 and 3 are negative, can any action now be taken against either the judge or the conservator?
These questions are quite frankly moot.

4. If the conservator knew or should have known that the court did not legally have the power to grant the powers of guardianship over the child, can she defend herself in an action by asserting that the court gave her the powers?
She did and the bar complaint went no where.
5. Can the judge rely on judicial immunity as a defense?
Yes.

6. Can any proposed action survive a summary judgement?
Not really.
7. Any legal theories on damages?

8. Any legal theories on actions?
Not going there because not enough facts.

9. What is pro bono? I'm broke after paying for all the appeals. I even wrote 98% of the legal briefs myself to save money.
So you are an attorney? How were you a party to the case? In Juvenile court only mom and dad (of the child) would have been a party to the case. Hence, unless you are an attorney YOU broke the law by writing and/or filing ANYTHING. You engaged in the unauthorized practice of law. YOU had no right to file anything.

10. Any way to emancipate daughter?
No.

SIDEBAR

The daughter was placed with "Uncle Mike" in Florida and mother and daughter communicate by phone and text since Oct 08 and had an at home visit of one week this summer.
Uncle Mike? Is this mom's relative? Were mom's rights terminated (which is what PC means) and Uncle Mike adopted hence becoming the child's FATHER OR was legal custody to Uncle Mike granted with mom retaining her residual rights?
Daughter desperately wants to move home with mommy and mommy desperately wants daughter back. However, mean Uncle Mike keeps taking away the phone every time he gets mad at daughter or mother prompting both to threaten suicide.
Then daughter and mom both need counseling and both need kept from each other due to the psychological harm they cause each other.

Daughter's DOB 12-3-1993. It is hoped but by no means certain that they will be reunited when daughter turns 18 and graduates HS.
When the child is 18 she can choose.

11. If actions are possible, which actions would you recommend?

12. Isn't the above enough?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Answer my questions. Oh and does mom you are posting her business online?

garyakirsch

re:conspiring guardian

I met mom one month after daughter sent to Florida and obtained my knowledge of case first by reading documents retained by mom, then experiencing as case progressed, then by obtaining all the medical records while the appeal was being prepared.

Mom at all times, up until testimony at PC trial believed conservator was her friend and advocate. When PC trial began and conservator testified against mom, mom immediately wanted to fire the conservator. We went to Probate Court and pulled the file, discovering the appointment letter with the typewritten modification. Mom fired conservator. Mom had court appointed attorney since TC.

Mom did not go to court because she thought conservator was her attorney, best friend, and personal advocate - remember mom is LD and petitioned the Probate court for assistance because she knew she needed it. Looking through the retrospectoscope I suspect none of the adverse events would have occurred if mom did get a lawyer and fired the conservator - remember CSB said mom had the right to visit and saw no need even for supervision. Also remember mom didn't know conservator had became an adversary advocating permanent custody.

The 95 case did drag on - only went to PC because of new "sunset law". Throughout CSB would assert that mom really didn't understand what she just completed, eg parenting class with certificate issued.

CSB did make an excuse - they alleged physical and verbal abuse on a daily basis. When mom's court attorney filed to dismiss, CSB dropped abuse and substituted dependency. CSB also falsely alleged mother of being low functioning with an IQ of 19 (it's been measured 5 times that number).

I'm not attorney and didn't file anything - I paid (through the nose) for attorneys, but I attempted to assist by finding cases on Findlaw and drafting appeals which the attorney used as a starting point. One attorney offered to hire me pt as legal assistant, also in a conversation with the prosecutor, the prosecutor praised my work.

Mike has full custody and we believe but cant prove adoption, however Mike and family have acknowledged inevitable reunification.

Mom has always been receiving counseling but Mike says daughter doesn't need counseling.

When I met daughter (stayed with us for a week and a couple days here and there for holidays) daughter made it absolutely clear she wants to live with mom - period. "Mom, they kept me away from you for seven years - that's half my life". Mike does not know daughter is suicidal over seperation - daughter is afraid to talk to Mike because he punishes her by taking away the phone so she can't communicate with mom.

Yes mom knows, as well as a dozen or so local attorneys. Mom has two reasons for existing - to be reunited with her daughter, and to exact revenge on her ex-conservator. Her pursuit of the former and the latter is relentless. Mom's directions to me are "find something - anything" to accomplish the latter.

Ohiogal, thank you so much for showing interest. I know we're grasping the last straw, but I have my orders you know.

SIDEBAR: The previously referenced nationally reported case resulted in both the guardian and the judge being admonished by the Ohio Supreme Court.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I met mom one month after daughter sent to Florida and obtained my knowledge of case first by reading documents retained by mom, then experiencing as case progressed, then by obtaining all the medical records while the appeal was being prepared.
So you were not around until PC? I need a time line -- condense it please. CSB opened a case when? Adjudication was when? Disposition was when? PC was when? And was it really PC? If it was then mom has NO PARENTAL RIGHTS AT ALL.

Mom at all times, up until testimony at PC trial believed conservator was her friend and advocate. When PC trial began and conservator testified against mom, mom immediately wanted to fire the conservator. We went to Probate Court and pulled the file, discovering the appointment letter with the typewritten modification. Mom fired conservator. Mom had court appointed attorney since TC.
Mom had court appointed attorney since when -- since CSB got temporary custody? Appointed by whom?

Mom did not go to court because she thought conservator was her attorney, best friend, and personal advocate - remember mom is LD and petitioned the Probate court for assistance because she knew she needed it.
Mom did not go to what court?
Looking through the retrospectoscope I suspect none of the adverse events would have occurred if mom did get a lawyer and fired the conservator - remember CSB said mom had the right to visit and saw no need even for supervision. Also remember mom didn't know conservator had became an adversary advocating permanent custody.
When did the PC -- or LC -- take place?

The 95 case did drag on - only went to PC because of new "sunset law". Throughout CSB would assert that mom really didn't understand what she just completed, eg parenting class with certificate issued.
The "new" sunset law is NOT that new.

CSB did make an excuse - they alleged physical and verbal abuse on a daily basis. When mom's court attorney filed to dismiss, CSB dropped abuse and substituted dependency. CSB also falsely alleged mother of being low functioning with an IQ of 19 (it's been measured 5 times that number).
The allegations needed to be pled in a complaint. Have you read the initial complaint?

I'm not attorney and didn't file anything
That is good that you didn't file anything. It sounded as though you had though. I can pretty much guess what county you are in due to how you are phrasing things and your reference points.

- I paid (through the nose) for attorneys, but I attempted to assist by finding cases on Findlaw and drafting appeals which the attorney used as a starting point. One attorney offered to hire me pt as legal assistant, also in a conversation with the prosecutor, the prosecutor praised my work.
Okay.

Mike has full custody and we believe but cant prove adoption, however Mike and family have acknowledged inevitable reunification.
If Mike adopted then mom is NO LONGER MOM and has no parental rights and no way of reunifying legally while the child is a minor.

Mom has always been receiving counseling but Mike says daughter doesn't need counseling.
This part is concerning but I read ahead.

When I met daughter (stayed with us for a week and a couple days here and there for holidays) daughter made it absolutely clear she wants to live with mom - period. "Mom, they kept me away from you for seven years - that's half my life". Mike does not know daughter is suicidal over seperation - daughter is afraid to talk to Mike because he punishes her by taking away the phone so she can't communicate with mom.
The above is where you lost me -- the daughter is SUICIDAL and no one has told MIKE this so he can get the child help? What are you as supposed caring adults waiting for? If this child is suicidal she needs help and MIKE needs to be informed by someone -- Gary you are talking about and have knowledge about it SO DO SOMETHING.

Yes mom knows, as well as a dozen or so local attorneys. Mom has two reasons for existing - to be reunited with her daughter, and to exact revenge on her ex-conservator. Her pursuit of the former and the latter is relentless. Mom's directions to me are "find something - anything" to accomplish the latter.
Mom needs to get healthy. And to be reunited is something that no one here can counsel about because you don't know if adoption has taken place. If her daughter kills herself however she won't be able to reunify so the child needs help!

Ohiogal, thank you so much for showing interest. I know we're grasping the last straw, but I have my orders you know.

SIDEBAR: The previously referenced nationally reported case resulted in both the guardian and the judge being admonished by the Ohio Supreme Court.
How were the guardian and judge admonished? The Probate or Juvenile judge? The guardian for mom? Did the child have a GAL or CASA?

garyakirsch

conspiring guardian

won't try to answer every question, but will try to clarify with summary. The CSB took temporary custody one month after conservator sent daughter to Uncle Mike (the purported reason given for going to Uncle Mike was so daughter could better recover from the hospitalization. real reason was to keep daughter out of reach of MOM that still had full parental rights and to buy time to twist CSB arm to come up with a charge to justify emergency temporary custody.

P.C. trial began one year after TC was taken. Mom lost, has no parental rights.

Adoption records are not available to mom's inspection - we assume adoption has occurred. Uncle Mike has stated he will not contest daughter returning to mom when daughter is 18.

Mike is a problem: he will not send daughter to counseling. Anytime anyone, whether mom, mgm, mgf, criticizes Mike on parenting issues he becomes very defensive, and shuts off the phone. I have observed this behaviour and worse common among all members of that estranged family.

mgf has recommended notifying Florida CSB, but mom and daughter both fear that could only lead to more foster care resulting in mom and daughter permanently losing contact.

Mom is not trying to regain legal custody - she and daughter are anxiously content to wait until daughter is 18.

Mom's orders to me are to find a way to exact revenge on her former conservator. A civil suit resulted in "summary judgement granted", which I have learned from this forum isn't worth the paper it's written on. Bars went nowhere. "Breach of contract" has been proposed.

The national case went from Probate, to Appeals, to OSC. Reading the majority and dissenting opinions makes for interesting reading.

I thank my maker everyday that I didn't torture myself by choosing the profession of law for my career where all the possible procedural errors, conflicting and superseding case law, convoluted reasoning, and judicial activism circumventing the intent of the legislature rivals the mass confusion dominating the practice of another honored profession: medicine.

thanks again for your interest.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
won't try to answer every question, but will try to clarify with summary. The CSB took temporary custody one month after conservator sent daughter to Uncle Mike (the purported reason given for going to Uncle Mike was so daughter could better recover from the hospitalization. real reason was to keep daughter out of reach of MOM that still had full parental rights and to buy time to twist CSB arm to come up with a charge to justify emergency temporary custody.
Careful. Apparently you have NOT proven that.
P.C. trial began one year after TC was taken. Mom lost, has no parental rights.
Which means that mom did not SATISFACTORILY complete her case plan. And she is no longer MOM to this child.
Adoption records are not available to mom's inspection - we assume adoption has occurred. Uncle Mike has stated he will not contest daughter returning to mom when daughter is 18.
At the age of 18, daughter is an adult and can do what she wants. Uncle Mike is NOW DAD.

Mike is a problem: he will not send daughter to counseling. Anytime anyone, whether mom, mgm, mgf, criticizes Mike on parenting issues he becomes very defensive, and shuts off the phone. I have observed this behaviour and worse common among all members of that estranged family.
Mike doesn't have to listen to ANYONE. Mike is the child's father. MIKE the child's parent. Mom is NOT mom anymore.
mgf has recommended notifying Florida CSB, but mom and daughter both fear that could only lead to more foster care resulting in mom and daughter permanently losing contact.
If the child were in trouble that is what should be done however -- especially if you care about child.
Mom is not trying to regain legal custody - she and daughter are anxiously content to wait until daughter is 18.
Mom is a LEGAL STRANGER and COULD NOT REGAIN CUSTODY.
Mom's orders to me are to find a way to exact revenge on her former conservator. A civil suit resulted in "summary judgement granted", which I have learned from this forum isn't worth the paper it's written on. Bars went nowhere. "Breach of contract" has been proposed.
Who told you summary judgment is not worth anything?

The national case went from Probate, to Appeals, to OSC. Reading the majority and dissenting opinions makes for interesting reading.
I am sure it does.

I thank my maker everyday that I didn't torture myself by choosing the profession of law for my career where all the possible procedural errors, conflicting and superseding case law, convoluted reasoning, and judicial activism circumventing the intent of the legislature rivals the mass confusion dominating the practice of another honored profession: medicine.
Medicine is not an easy career either.

garyakirsch

conspiring guaardian

OG, thanks for your feedback. Guess I'll just keep birth-MOM busy for the next two birthdays, same as I did for last seven birthdays.

The doctrine of parens patriae irks my libertarian DNA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">