• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contest a Will?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IB3

What is the name of your state? Rhode Island

My father's will was changed to a "Quit Claim Deed" within a month(25 days) before his passing. My father's will left the estate to be divided amongst his nine children. In the Deed, it pronounces my sister as the only beneficary to my father's estate. My question is: What can be done about this??

ANY advice would be a great help and much appreciated.

BelizeBreeze

IB3 said:
What is the name of your state? Rhode Island

My father's will was changed to a "Quit Claim Deed" within a month(25 days) before his passing. My father's will left the estate to be divided amongst his nine children. In the Deed, it pronounces my sister as the only beneficary to my father's estate. My question is: What can be done about this??

ANY advice would be a great help and much appreciated.
Your post doesn't make sense. First, a deed is for transfer of property. A Will stipulates division of the estate. So, which was it that was altered? Was your father under medical care? how about more facts?

IB3

Please help!!

BelizeBreeze said:
Your post doesn't make sense. First, a deed is for transfer of property. A Will stipulates division of the estate. So, which was it that was altered? Was your father under medical care? how about more facts?

Ok...sorry!! Let me start over. In November of 2000, my father went to attorney to have his will drawn up. My sister was made Living Trust at that time. In the will, it states, that my sister, the Living Trust and Executor, was to received $20,000 and the remaining assets of the Trust Estate was to be divided equally, among all nine children.

On September 17, 2004, my father, as told by my sister, wanted to give the house to my sister. I'm assuming that is the Quit Claim Deed. In the Deed, it pronounces my sister as the only beneficary. Does that mean she's the sole beneficary of the house or all assets, (bank accounts, stocks, etc.)??

IB3

A Follow up question

Rhode Island

My father passed away 25 days after changing his will. I was once told that if someone changes their will within 30 days of their passing, the change to the will can be contested. Any truth to that??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">