• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cousin died only cousins as heirs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

apharm

What is the name of your state? PA
My cousin died without a will. No spouse, children, siblings, aunts, uncles, only 5 maternal first cousins, and 4 living paternal cousins, and 1 deceased paternal first cousin. The deceased cousin did not have children. Will each living cousin be entiled to a 1/9 share? One of the assets is land in NY with oil wells. This was inherited from her deceased father who also inherited it from his family. Is this land handled in a special manner from the other assets? ( for example returned to the father's family for redistribution) Does PA have a 15% inheritance tax starting on the first dollar? What is a customary percentage fee for an attorney? I have volunteered to be the administrator what is the customary percentage fee paid?

BelizeBreeze

apharm said:
What is the name of your state? PA
My cousin died without a will. No spouse, children, siblings, aunts, uncles, only 5 maternal first cousins, and 4 living paternal cousins, and 1 deceased paternal first cousin. The deceased cousin did not have children. Will each living cousin be entiled to a 1/9 share? One of the assets is land in NY with oil wells. This was inherited from her deceased father who also inherited it from his family. Is this land handled in a special manner from the other assets? ( for example returned to the father's family for redistribution) Does PA have a 15% inheritance tax starting on the first dollar? What is a customary percentage fee for an attorney? I have volunteered to be the administrator what is the customary percentage fee paid?
If you have volunteered to be the executor then I would STRONLY suggest you hire a probate attorney. THEN have your questions answered by a party who can do hours of research and study the exact situation of the assets.

JETX

I agree 110% with BB on this one.
Clearly, the estate is far too complex for a novice to try to handle.

BTW, since she died without a will, her estate falls under the PA intestate laws:
2. Heirs other than surviving spouse. Any part of the intestate estate not passing to the surviving spouse as indicated above, or the entire intestate estate if there is no surviving spouse, passes as follows to:
1. Decedent's issue.
2. Decedent's parent or parents equally.
3. Decedent's brothers and sisters, or their issue.
4. If none of the above relatives are available, but the decedent is survived by one or more grandparents or issue of grandparents, half of the estate passes to the paternal grandparents if both survive, or to the surviving paternal grandparent or to the issue of the paternal grandparents if both are deceased. The other half passes to the maternal relatives in the same manner. If there is no surviving grandparent or issue of grandparent on either the paternal or maternal side, the entire estate passes to the relatives on the other side in the same manner as the half portion would.
5. Decedent's uncles and aunts and their children and grandchildren.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">