• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cousin died, stuff's in hotel; what to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ralphinnm

In New Mexico now, my cousin died while living in a hotel. The hotel owner says I need a court order to retrieve her personal effects, which may include her Will. He also wants to charge rent until I do. I'm sure she paid by the month, but how do I get this court order to get her stuff? She also left all her money in neat little piles on the bed, which the hotel owner says is $1500, and promptly "put in his safe". There were little name tags by each pile, and now we don't know who gets what according to her wishes.

BlondiePB

Ralphinnm said:
In New Mexico now, my cousin died while living in a hotel. The hotel owner says I need a court order to retrieve her personal effects, which may include her Will. He also wants to charge rent until I do. I'm sure she paid by the month, but how do I get this court order to get her stuff? She also left all her money in neat little piles on the bed, which the hotel owner says is $1500, and promptly "put in his safe". There were little name tags by each pile, and now we don't know who gets what according to her wishes.
Take an original death certificate to the local probate division of the courthouse and apply/file to be executor. You will be issued Letters of Testamentary/Administration. Bring orignal copy of "Letter" to the manager, who can make a copy of it, and retrieve cousin's personal belongings & money. The other issues of who she wanted to have what and rent you will have to work out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">