• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Creditor opening up estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mom2NMKP

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Idaho, but mother's death occurred in Alabama and was intestate.

Okay, here's a low run down...need advice!!! My mother died without a will. I hired an attorney and filed the Affidavit of Heirship (I finally made up my mind!!). The only asset is land that is paid for. I have faxed my recorded Affidavit of Heirship to the county property tax office there in Alabama along with her death certificate and they officially put the tax information into my name for the land so that is taken care of. I cannot, however, sell the property until 24 months AFTER her date of death. However, I received a letter today from a bill collector of hers for a credit account with Dell computers for $271. (I have paid all others save for this one and her final gas bill which I am waiting for, however, all of the others were simplly utilities and NOT credit-issued bills). I called and told them the scoop, she died without a will, nothing going through probate, etc. She said, "Okay, we will be monitoring the courts and if an estate is opened, we will file a claim." There is no probate.... I know that. However, here are my questions: Would they file to open the estate for $271 if they know of the land? It's not hard to find proof of...doesn't take a rocket scientist. Should I just pay the thing? My attorney is out today and the letter has me slightly freaked out. I cannot imagine getting notice that a lien has been filed against a piece of property for $271. It's not worth it...I would just pay it and get it over with....advice???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">