• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dad in all but blood, died as will was imminent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Granty

I appreciate any help at all here as this is a very strong matter of principle to me and not a very pleasent situation to deal with.

I understand that the law is black and white but I have to find some way of challenging this if only for my peace of mind.

My Dad died towards the end of November, there was no bloodline but we were closer than many average direct blood relations, I carried his surname throughout school, even I wasn't aware until near leaving school that this wasn't my real name, he taught me to tie my shoelaces, to swim and ride a bike, I remember all of the words and ways he tried to get me to learn as if it was yetarday, I really do! I'm 32 now and still we hugged everytime we left each others company, quite simply me and my brother were the closest people in his life, there was nobody else as he was a private man, he had some very close friends but not family or relationships.

He got cancer and about 5 or 6 months back his sisters appeared for the first time in my memory, he never talked about them, my brother wasn't even aware they existed and I knew he had maybe one sister from a story or two he told of when he was growing up but he never mentioned them by name, 28 years and to my knowledge I had never even seen any of them.

He died of a heart attack yet had been given hope by his doctor under a week before he died, about two weeks before he died he talked of his pension money being paid, he told me the amount and said I'd best get my will done, he told me he may get his mcmillan nurse to help him with it, he asked what I wanted but I was never going to talk about money with him and him dying, I knew I would figure strongly as we were so close and there was only me and my brother who would figure.

unfortunately as it goes it appears he didn't get chance to do a will, all I wanted was for his intentions to be followed through, he gave me the impression he had done it but I wouldn't know how to find out and his sister says he didn't, she has since made it clear that she is the next of kin and wants the money, I have appealed to her good nature, I would take a split between the siblings which I believe to be far less than my dad would have intended but for me it is not at all about the money but my Dads honour and my memories.

The principle of how they haven't even been remotely close over at least 28 years makes this a huge wrong, my dad acknowleged me as his son and I made sure he knew he was my dad, I didn't even read a letter passed on from my biological father when I was around 14, I told my aunty that Dave was my Dad and 18 years on that is as true as ever.

I know the law is black and white, but the facts to this case make it so wrong, I could take my dads photo album and get everyone I can find in it, including his best friends to give statements saying that I am his son in all but bloodline, most of them were not aware of his siblings and all would back up the fact that he had very little contact over a long time, the fact is that me and my brother would have figured strongley and it was imminent that he was to complete his will if not for the heart attack, I appreciate your views, I know many may say we have nothing to go on, but I just prey there is a way of challenging as I will struggle to live knowing that his sisters took his money against his wishes and that is the hard truth, i'm sorry but this is devastating to me, I live by my principles and this is so so wrong, thank you for any help or advice.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I appreciate any help at all here as this is a very strong matter of principle to me and not a very pleasent situation to deal with.

I understand that the law is black and white but I have to find some way of challenging this if only for my peace of mind.

My Dad died towards the end of November, there was no bloodline but we were closer than many average direct blood relations, I carried his surname throughout school, even I wasn't aware until near leaving school that this wasn't my real name, he taught me to tie my shoelaces, to swim and ride a bike, I remember all of the words and ways he tried to get me to learn as if it was yetarday, I really do! I'm 32 now and still we hugged everytime we left each others company, quite simply me and my brother were the closest people in his life, there was nobody else as he was a private man, he had some very close friends but not family or relationships.

He got cancer and about 5 or 6 months back his sisters appeared for the first time in my memory, he never talked about them, my brother wasn't even aware they existed and I knew he had maybe one sister from a story or two he told of when he was growing up but he never mentioned them by name, 28 years and to my knowledge I had never even seen any of them.

He died of a heart attack yet had been given hope by his doctor under a week before he died, about two weeks before he died he talked of his pension money being paid, he told me the amount and said I'd best get my will done, he told me he may get his mcmillan nurse to help him with it, he asked what I wanted but I was never going to talk about money with him and him dying, I knew I would figure strongly as we were so close and there was only me and my brother who would figure.

unfortunately as it goes it appears he didn't get chance to do a will, all I wanted was for his intentions to be followed through, he gave me the impression he had done it but I wouldn't know how to find out and his sister says he didn't, she has since made it clear that she is the next of kin and wants the money, I have appealed to her good nature, I would take a split between the siblings which I believe to be far less than my dad would have intended but for me it is not at all about the money but my Dads honour and my memories.

The principle of how they haven't even been remotely close over at least 28 years makes this a huge wrong, my dad acknowleged me as his son and I made sure he knew he was my dad, I didn't even read a letter passed on from my biological father when I was around 14, I told my aunty that Dave was my Dad and 18 years on that is as true as ever.

I know the law is black and white, but the facts to this case make it so wrong, I could take my dads photo album and get everyone I can find in it, including his best friends to give statements saying that I am his son in all but bloodline, most of them were not aware of his siblings and all would back up the fact that he had very little contact over a long time, the fact is that me and my brother would have figured strongley and it was imminent that he was to complete his will if not for the heart attack, I appreciate your views, I know many may say we have nothing to go on, but I just prey there is a way of challenging as I will struggle to live knowing that his sisters took his money against his wishes and that is the hard truth, i'm sorry but this is devastating to me, I live by my principles and this is so so wrong, thank you for any help or advice.
What US State?:cool:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm sorry for your loss. What US state are you in?

Edit - ahh, you are in the UK. I'm sorry, this forum is for US law only.

Granty

Sorry the registration said if not in U.S. enter 00000 instead of a zip code so I hoped I could get help, is there any examples that you know of in U.S law where somebody would have a right to appeal?

well done with the clues, tally ho ;)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sorry the registration said if not in U.S. enter 00000 instead of a zip code so I hoped I could get help, is there any examples that you know of in U.S law where somebody would have a right to appeal?

well done with the clues, tally ho ;)
There are 50+ different sets of laws in the US - sorry, you'll need to speak with a local professional about this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">