• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Daughter's Death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cyndymac

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey daughter lived in New York. My daughter was never married, never had children. She did not have a will. Her only asset is a small checking account. What do I need to release the account? How do I go about getting these documents? I have her birth and death certificates. Can I do all the paper work needed in New Jersey?

anteater

Condolences on the loss of your daughter.

If she was a New York resident, then her estate, as small as it is, will need to be handled in New York. New York does have a simplified procedure for handling estates with a value under $30,000.

Contact the Surrogate's Court in the county in which she resided. The clerk there should be willing to help you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">