• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deadman's Debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

osucowgal

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? OK

My uncle passed away in Feb. 05. His wife preceded him in death probably a year or so ago. No childern. He left behind 2 siblings, my mother and a brother. Both my mother and uncle(living) neither are very educated nor do they have much in way of resources. So I need some advise to pass on to them.

When my uncle S passed on, he had nothing but a $5,000 life insurance policy, an older truck(late 80's Ford) that had been wrecked several times, a dilapitated house that is falling down, and a few belongings in a rented apartment. He was a trash collector all my life for sure, and he collected discarded items thinking someday there would be a use for them, so his home was cluttered with junk and smelly. He was a man of less megar means than my mom and uncle. So it was obvious to all the family, he had nothing of value that anyone wanted or needed, and we opted not to probate his estate. I did call and check on probate but it was going to cost more to do that than his assests were. His life insurance barely covered the funeral expense.

Now months later, the hospital is billing my uncle R for uncle S's remaining charges from the stay that ended in his death. The apartment complex has sent my aunt to collections for the cost of new carpet for the apartment uncle S lived in. They have been told that all the debt that is outstanding in the deceased's name will transfer to his next of kin and they will be responsible to take care of anything outstanding. The house is a safety hazard and aparently they are going to be charged for the state to come in and tear it down.

My parents and uncle & aunt can barely afford to provide for themselves. Are they really going to be responsible for this debt? What can be done to help them? And now my dad is concerned that if he and mom pass on suddenly, my brother and I will be responsible for any debt that is left behind after their assests are liquidated? I know that last question is jumping the gun, but I would like to be prepared, if that is truly the case. Thank you in advance to whomever replys.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">