• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Death Certificate Legal Obligations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EJD1984

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

My father passed a few weeks ago of lung cancer, and his girlfriend is already acting REAL shady on a few things.

He lived with his girlfriend for the past 10 years, but kept everything separate - checking & savings accounts etc. Her name was on nothing of his.

I have found that she was using his debit card the day he was in a coma, Aug 31st, and withdrew money out of his account after he passed on September 5th. For a total of $700+ dollars (that I have found so far). I did have the bank lock down the account after I found all of this out.

She has played dumb "I don't know where his bank statements are" "I don't know if he had a debit card".

She is now asking me to order her a death certificate - Don't know why. Do I have any legal obligation to get her a death certificate? (Really, REALLY PEEVED) It's not really the money at this point, it's more of the principal.

*PS - I know it's sad that things have to happen like this when someone passes.

justalayman

How do you know here name is on nothing, including as a beneficiary?

Do I have any legal obligation to get her a death certificate?
no

She has played dumb "I don't know where his bank statements are" "I don't know if he had a debit card".
who cares what she says? Once there is an administrator of the estate, that person will be able to access all of those records.

LdiJ

I am going to answer here because I don't think that it really makes much of a difference which thread applies.

The OP should not cooperate with the girlfriend at all. She has already demonstrated bad faith by using the decendents debit card on the day that he died. The OP should do what is necessary to handles is father's estate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">