• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Death Certificate without a body

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zen06

What is the name of your state? WA

My ex husband (father of my son) sailed single handed to the Solomon Islands from Hawaii. His boat was found adrift and de-masted (1500 miles away) without him aboard 37 days after he left the last port. The coast guard notified me and and they recovered his passport and wallet off of the boat. I have pictures of the boat as it was found and they are forwarding the personal effects to me.

How do I go about obtaining a death certificate without a body? My son is a minor and I understand he is entitled to Social Security benefits and there should be a life insurance payout for him.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Zen06

Are they officially declairing him dead?
The coast guard will not officailly say anything. Every time I speak with them (about 20 times and with about 5 different people) I ask what I need to do to get a death certificate and they hedge. They keep talking about the fact that the boat was found in international waters near the Figi Islands and that it was found by a fishing vessel and then they tell me what would be the procedure if the boat was found in US waters and then they say that they cannot make that determination. I am trying to get copies of all of thier reports now.

Dandy Don

Contact your local bar association for an attorney referral--you will need a family law attorney or civil attorney to inform you about the official procedures to have a person declared legally dead and to get the appropriate supporting documentation. My sympathies to you and your son on what must truly be a tragically devastating situation.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

tranquility

No one knows the answer. Almost assuredly you will need to litigate things. Find an attorney. I don't even know the speciality you would look for. Admriality? Probate? Call them and ask. Don't be disappointed if they don't have any idea of the answer.

This is movies and TV. There is no "expert" who can tell you what to expect. I'm sorry both for your loss and for the difficuties you will have trying to settle things.

Betty

Sometimes it takes up to 3 yrs. to get a death certificate in the absence of a body to guard against fraud. You definitely need a lawyers help as suggested by a couple other posters. I, too, am very sorry for the loss of your ex-husband & son's father.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">