• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Death of my wife!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Henderson

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Mexico! Okay, my Wife was hit by a car and killed last Fathers Day. Her family tried to hide her death from me and even resorted to put one of her Daughters name on her Memorial where she was hit by a car. I finally talked another one of her Daughters to tell me what really happened and she finally told me the truth that it was her Mother, my Wife was the one hit by the car and killed. I ask her why they tried to hide her death from me and she told me because ever thing was mine. See her Dad also passed a way a few months before she did and was left every thing as far as a house, vehicle, etc but the Estate was not settled as of yet when she passed a way. We were separated for about seven month's but still married for less then a year. All of her family's FB pages also tried to hide her death. I have all of the proof of pics Memorial etc. What are my options if have any? To me it is Fraud and theft!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Mexico! Okay, my Wife was hit by a car and killed last Fathers Day. Her family tried to hide her death from me and even resorted to put one of her Daughters name on her Memorial where she was hit by a car. I finally talked another one of her Daughters to tell me what really happened and she finally told me the truth that it was her Mother, my Wife was the one hit by the car and killed. I ask her why they tried to hide her death from me and she told me because ever thing was mine. See her Dad also passed a way a few months before she did and was left every thing as far as a house, vehicle, etc but the Estate was not settled as of yet when she passed a way. We were separated for about seven month's but still married for less then a year. All of her family's FB pages also tried to hide her death. I have all of the proof of pics Memorial etc. What are my options if have any? To me it is Fraud and theft!
You're wrong about everything she owned belonging to you. In fact, it sounds to me like only a very small percentage of what she owned would end up being yours.

justalayman

but hey, you aren't totally without victory here. If you have not filed for a legal separation you are liable for her debts accrued since the marriage.

Just Blue

Wow. Married for less than a year and you want to wrest away her property/monies. Gross.

tranquility

Let me start with an agreement with the others that it is unlikely my wife would die and her family could "hide" it from me.

Really, really, unlikely. (Androids, brain washing; things like that.)

To the real issue, why do you think you deserve some portion of her estate? Community property? Beneficiary designation? Deed issues?

Certainly, the fact someone can "hide" your short-term wife's death from you would indicate, no matter what, you have a legal problem if you want some of her assets. As to the rest, it would depend on the assets. (And, how they are held.)

Last edited:

Dandy Don

If they hid the death, then they might also be capable of trying to hide information about her assets. Check the online records for the county where she died to see if anyone has opened up a probate proceeding for her estate (you would search at that website by using her name). If a probate file is open, you can visit the courthouse to look at the paperwork in the file yourself, or purchase the documents by mail for a small copy fee. But it is most likely that no one has opened up any type of probate at all. Do you know whether she made out a last will and testament or did she have no will at all?

If her father's estate has not yet been settled, then you have not yet been cheated out of anything.

You will have rights to a certain portion of her estate, whatever it is. You need to be consulting with a probate attorney ASAP, and tell your attorney about your wife's father's date of death and place of death so that he can look at that probate case file for you also.

justalayman

It looks like the OP is entitled to all of the community property and 1/4 of the wife's separate property.
I see that.

Now kids need to figure out if marriage was valid (married less than 1 year and separated 7 months hints at a few issues) but additionally very specific issues such as is the wife/mother the only possible recipient of her father's estate or can it be steered to benefit somebody other than op, especially since it appears fathers estate isn't settled yet.

Sometimes I'm just an ******* and do crazy things but it would not be beyond me to give away all of it if it meant somebody I didn't like would receive one penny if I didn't. Given the situation, if I were her kids I might consider doing just that. Sometimes money just doesn't mean as much as the warm fuzzy I get from justice being served.

LdiJ

I see that.

Now kids need to figure out if marriage was valid (married less than 1 year and separated 7 months hints at a few issues) but additionally very specific issues such as is the wife/mother the only possible recipient of her father's estate or can it be steered to benefit somebody other than op, especially since it appears fathers estate isn't settled yet.

Sometimes I'm just an ******* and do crazy things but it would not be beyond me to give away all of it if it meant somebody I didn't like would receive one penny if I didn't. Given the situation, if I were her kids I might consider doing just that. Sometimes money just doesn't mean as much as the warm fuzzy I get from justice being served.
I am just astonished that this guy would even dream of attempting to benefit from his wife's death...and even more astonished that he would attempt to benefit from his wife's father's death. That is really just about as low as it gets.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">