• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Death - No Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

caspermi

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My mother passed away several weeks ago and she never mentioned that she had a will nor could we find one when going through her papers. Her estate is small (a $100K condo and a total of $10,000 deposited in two savings accounts). She has a signed quit claim deed which conveys title to the condo equally to my three siblings and myself. My question centers on the bank accounts. I was listed as a joint tenant with rights to survivorship on the two accounts along with my mother. Would that money technically belong to me or would it be considered part of the estate to be split with the others? (Mom added my name to the accounts since I've been the primary caregiver for my mother for the last eight years)

Some other questions I have:
1) Is there a time limit after her death when we should register the quit claim deed with the county?

2) If we can agree on the other items, i.e, furniture, jewelry, momentos, etc, is there a reason to go through probate?

BelizeBreeze

caspermi said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

My mother passed away several weeks ago and she never mentioned that she had a will nor could we find one when going through her papers. Her estate is small (a $100K condo and a total of $10,000 deposited in two savings accounts). She has a signed quit claim deed which conveys title to the condo equally to my three siblings and myself. My question centers on the bank accounts. I was listed as a joint tenant with rights to survivorship on the two accounts along with my mother. Would that money technically belong to me or would it be considered part of the estate to be split with the others? (Mom added my name to the accounts since I've been the primary caregiver for my mother for the last eight years)
The money is yours. It does not pass through probate.
Some other questions I have:
1) Is there a time limit after her death when we should register the quit claim deed with the county?
not necessarily but it should be done soon.
2) If we can agree on the other items, i.e, furniture, jewelry, momentos, etc, is there a reason to go through probate?
yes. Because there are laws which require it when there is not a will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">