• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

death without a will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rslk312

What is the name of your state? Tennessee, for about 7 months, VA before that.

Recently my step-grandfather passed away, I have been living with him all my life, and following his death, his biological children wish to exclude me from any of the financial benefits, if it is required by law or not I do not know, I'm only 18, but, it seems everything is going to be sold off, is it legal for them to do so? Am I entitled to anything? Not sure if it matters but, he had legal custody of me, although as far as I know, never adopted me, I am living in the house they wish to sell, also, a car, and money in the bank, which is mine, were in his name, am I entitled to that?

S

seniorjudge

rslk312 said:
What is the name of your state? Tennessee, for about 7 months, VA before that.

Recently my step-grandfather passed away, I have been living with him all my life, and following his death, his biological children wish to exclude me from any of the financial benefits, if it is required by law or not I do not know, I'm only 18, but, it seems everything is going to be sold off, is it legal for them to do so? Am I entitled to anything? Not sure if it matters but, he had legal custody of me, although as far as I know, never adopted me, I am living in the house they wish to sell, also, a car, and money in the bank, which is mine, were in his name, am I entitled to that?
Since your step-father did not make a will then that means he intended for the government to decide where his stuff goes. This is called intestate (i.e., without a will) succession (i.e., where the stuff goes).

You didn't say where he died so I am giving you a link to TN intestate succession laws as well as VA.

http://www.finance.cch.com/pops/c50s10d190_TN.asp

http://www.finance.cch.com/pops/c50s10d190_VA.asp

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">