• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deceased Father's Checking Account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dpcl

What is the name of your state? VA

My father recently passed away. The bank says he has a checking account with approximately $17,000 but that it does not list any beneficiary. The bank is telling us that in order for my brother and I to recieve the money in the account, we must file a form with the County Courthouse which establishes an account. The bank then transfers the money to the account which we would then be able to access.

The bank was not clear as to what form needs to be completed or filed and I cannot reach anyone at the courthouse (which is in VA and I am in GA) to explain what form or other steps we must take.

Can you advise as to what needs to be done and what form(s) the bank is referring to.

justalayman

dpcl said:
What is the name of your state? VA

My father recently passed away. The bank says he has a checking account with approximately $17,000 but that it does not list any beneficiary. The bank is telling us that in order for my brother and I to recieve the money in the account, we must file a form with the County Courthouse which establishes an account. The bank then transfers the money to the account which we would then be able to access.

The bank was not clear as to what form needs to be completed or filed and I cannot reach anyone at the courthouse (which is in VA and I am in GA) to explain what form or other steps we must take.

Can you advise as to what needs to be done and what form(s) the bank is referring to.
You can't just "take" the money. It is part of his estate and needs to be controlled per probate laws in that state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">